More and more smartphone manufacturers have been moving towards on-screen buttons, with Google really pushing for it over the physical button alternative. However, there are still a few OEMs (we're looking at you, Samsung) that have preferred to keep things a bit more traditional. Tell us which way you prefer and why.
Android 4.4.3 Released, Google Unveils Project Tango Tablet Dev Kit, Galaxy Gear Tizen Rooted! – XDA Developer TV
Android KitKat 4.4.3 has been released for the Nexus 5 and many more Nexus devices! That and much more news is covered by Jordan, as he reviews all the important stories from this week. Included in this week’s news is the announcement that OmniROM nightlies are now based on Android 4.4.3 and Google announced a new Project Tango tablet! That’s not all that’s covered in today’s video!
Jordan talks about the other videos released this week on XDA Developer TV. XDA Developer TV Producer TK released an Xposed Tuesday video for OK Google for 3rd Party Launchers. Then, Jordan talked about Portal and Half-Life 2 on the Nvidia Shield. Finally, TK gave us a an Android App Review of Gallery Plus. Pull up a chair and check out this video.
Links to stories mentioned:
- [OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 OTA Now Live for the Nexus 5!
- [OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 OTAs Live for Nexus 4 and 10
- [OTA Captured] Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi Now Receiving 4.4.3 Incremental Update
- Android 4.4.3 Factory Images and Driver Binaries Here for the Nexus 4, 5, 7 (Both), and 10, Source Code Now Live
- [OTAs Captured] Android 4.4.3 Rolling Out to Google Play Editions, Kernel Source Available for HTC GPe Devices!
- Android 4.4.3 Rolling Out to Moto X, E, and G Starting Today!
- Today’s OmniROM Nightlies Now Based on Android 4.4.3
- Browse Every New AOSP Code Commit in Android 4.4.3
- [OTA Captured] KitKat Arrives on the LTE Variant of the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
- [OTA Captured] Sense 6 Update Finally Rolls Out to AT&T HTC One M7
- Root for the Original Galaxy Gear Running Tizen
- Unreleased Google Glass XE17.3 Factory Image, OTA, and Pre-Rooted Boot Image Now Available
- Google Unveils $1024 Project Tango Tablet Development Kit
- XDA Xposed Tuesday: ‘Ok Google’ for 3rd Party Launchers – XDA Developer TV
- Portal and Half-Life 2 on the Nvidia SHIELD! Win an Nvidia SHIELD! – XDA Developer TV
- Android App Review: Gallery Plus – XDA Developer TV
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
While there are frequent unexplained changes and pushes to Google's AOSP repositories, an interesting-looking new branch has been pushed out recently, called "master-soong". Taking a look at the changes made to the manifest repository (which is used to specify the repositories to be downloaded when building Android), it appears there are some new repositories making an appearance. Of note here are new prebuilt repositories for Go, and Ninja. Go is a programming language, created by Google, which compiles to produce...
There already are many solutions on the Google Play store if you want to send a link to one of your devices -- but what if you wanted to do it quickly without having to install any software or logging in to a website on the recipient end? Most apps require you to do either or both, which can be a hassle (or even a security risk) in some cases. Luckily, XDA Forum Member wyemun has developed CaastMe. Inspired by...