While the official ClockworkMod recovery is still arguably the most popular recovery for the largest number of Android devices, its wide release nature prevents official releases from being as easily adaptable as other recoveries when new development happens on many devices. As such, it’s up to the developers working on that device to get things rolling with custom recoveries when the old ones are incompatible. As has been the case with many devices being upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Gingerbread custom recoveries occasionally cease to work for one reason or another. However, as time passes, those little problems get fixed and for owners of the Acer Iconia A500, you now have custom recovery for ICS.
XDA Recognized Developer ezterry has released a modified ClockworkMod recovery dubbed the A500 Public Recovery. Its purpose? To bring the latest ClockworkMod Recovery functionality to those A500 owners rocking ICS on their tablets. The recovery has a lot going for it. As with the original CWM recovery, this release is open source. A complete list of the features include:
* cleanup tab option: shortcut to try to fix forcequits after updates, return to recovery and select on the main screen (Wipes Cache, dalvik, and fixes permissions)
* Standard options to backup and restore to either the SD card or internal storage
* Mount points match those of most running roms
* adb shell works as root (with or without system mounted)
* set boot mode menu to select the boot partition (hidden on know non-multiboot bootloaders)
* setbootmode and itsmagic command line tools for advanced users
* /data/linux directory is not deleted on erase userdata, nor backed up on nandroid backup (just like /data/media) to allow a space for linux files for dual boot and chroot linux installes.
Ezterry says it’s a little rough around the edges, but it works as intended, so users can have a functional recovery for their tablets running ICS. It should also be mentioned that this is for A500s running ICS only. If you’re on an earlier version of Android, it is not recommended that this be flashed.
For additional information, download links, instructions, and more, head on over to the original thread._________