In the past few months, Sony has been quick to demonstrate its willingness to work with the aftermarket development and enthusiast communities by publishing experimental unskinned builds for various devices. At the same time, they’ve also pushed out official firmware updates at a relatively quick pace, even for some older devices. To that end, the company has been rolling out official Android 4.3 updates to many of its past Xperia devices over the last few weeks. And now, the company is adding four more devices to the official Android 4.3 mix: the Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Zperia ZR, and Xperia Tablet Z, two of which saw a leaked build just 11 days ago.
The Android 4.3 update for the above devices comes with much of what we’ve already seen on other Sony devices that have received the Android 4.3 love. It brings Sony’s signature “Smart Social Camera” experience, as well as updates to all of the company’s trademark first party apps such as Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Walkman, and more. Additionally, the update brings support for the new Xperia Themes system, as well as new security enhancements courtesy of “Xperia for Business.” The full update log can be found below.
Are you excited for the official Android 4.3 update, or have you already upgraded to a source-built KitKat alternative crafted by your favorite developers here on XDA? Let us know in the comments below!
Official update release info:
We’ve been working to blend our Sony Xperia software with Google’s Jelly Bean release to create some cool user experiences (if we say so ourselves) – in addition to a few performance tweaks here & there, some of the functionality you can look forward to includes:
- Google’s Android 4.3; Jelly Bean as standard – bringing Project Butter performance & UI optimisation and a smoother graphical experience
- Launched with Xperia Z1, we’re now bringing Sony’s Smart Social Camera to these devices – our signature camera experience, that lets you download, access and enjoy “Xperia camera apps” directly from within the viewfinder
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, offering seamless access to both local and cloud content
- The launch of our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – more on this soon…
- The latest Android security enhancements, matched with Sony’s mobile enterprise solution: Xperia in Business
- Battery STAMINA Mode – updated version of Sony’s power management app, now with refreshed interface and more smart options for prolonging battery life
- Increased user control for Xperia Tablet Z, with “Restricted Profiles”; option to create isolated, secure spaces with individual local storage, home screens, widgets and settings