Android Firewall – Control App Network Access
Don’t have an unlimited data plan and worried about your data usage on your Android phone? Well, XDA Member rodrigo.zr has created an IPtables based firewall for Android devices. The app makes it easy to control which apps have access to network resources, so you can make sure not to go over your monthly cap. As a side note, to use this app you must be using a rooted Android device with Super User capabilities. Some of the features that it has are:
- White List Mode ( Allow Certain Apps )
- Black List Mode ( Block Certain Apps )
- Password Protection ( For App Rules )
- Select Individual Apps and Apps that use Certain Device Features
- Select Apps that run as Root (Superuser)
- Edit Rules
- Enable/Disable Firewall quickly
Some of the features specified down the road are 4G/WiMax Data Control and a logging feature.
If you would like to try this out for yourself check out the source thread. The app is also on the Android Market for free, by searching for “DroidWall”, and Google Code.
[Join us August 9-11, 2013 in beautiful Miami, FL for XDA:DevCon. Read here to find out more.]