Despite the widespread availability of large scale, source-built custom ROMs CyanogenMod is and will continue to be the go-to choice for a large number of users. It’s now been one month since we saw the CyanogenMod 11 M7 monthly snapshot release. Now, CM fans will be glad to know that the next monthly snapshot release is here.
The CyanogenMod 11 M8 release brings quite a lot to the table. For starters, M8 is the first official snapshot release based on Android 4.4.4. There is support for several new devices such as the Xperia Z2, Xiaomi Mi2, Oppo Find 7a/s, and OnePlus One. In addition, the new “heads up” notification mode is now available (Settings -> Notifications). The full changelog, as reported by redditor UberLaggyDarwin:
- Common: Android 4.4.4 (Google)
- New Devices: Sony Xperia Z2 (sirius); Xiaomi Mi2 (aries); Oppo Find 7a/s (find7); OnePlus One (bacon)
- Common: Fix VPN issues related to 4.4.3 merge
- Common: Enable ‘Heads Up’ notification mode (Settings > Notifications)
- Settings: ‘Interface’ replaced by ‘Status Bar’, ‘Notification Drawer’, and ‘Gestures’
- Settings: Moved ‘Expanded Desktop’ to ‘Display’
- Settings: Moved all lock screen related items to ‘Lock Screen’ and removed duplicates from ‘Security’
- Settings: Moved ‘Navigation Bar’ layout control to ‘Buttons’
- Trebuchet: Custom Homescreen grid size
- Trebuchet: Add Protected Apps feature
- Trebuchet: Add Search Panel (Google Now) option
- WhisperPush: No longer ignores ‘Blacklist’
- Futex: Protect against Towelroot
- Various small bugfixes, global and device-specific
For those who are unaware, these monthly snapshot builds have replaced CM Stable and Release Candidate builds. So just like the previous “M” releases, M8 will more than likely be stable and daily driver-capable on all officially supported devices.
If you’re a CyanogenMod user, today is a great day. Head over to the CyanogenMod Download Network to get in on the action. At the moment there are currently 30 builds available, so if your device isn’t in the list, check back later.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip! -- Join us for xda:devcon 2014!