The currently unreleased HTC EVO 4G has already been rooted, and a new guide is now available, which covers all the steps you need to do this on your device.
For people unfamiliar with Android development: Rooting is one of the things most ‘power’ users do with their Android device when they get it. It enables a lot of features that are normally locked by Google, such as using certain applications and flashing custom ROM’s.
This root method, described by XDA member toastcfh, will:
Originally posted by toastcfh
- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
- Allow you to flash custom roms
- Boot into a custom recovery
- Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery
There are however some things that are not possible with this method:
- Write to system or recovery while in android
- Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on
These things will probably be possible in future though, just a manner of waiting. Also, rooting might cause the 4G function to break.
Make sure you read the instructions very carefully, the writer of the guide, neither the developer of the root, neither xda-developers is responsible for any problems with your device that might occur when using this method.
You can find more information on the rooting thread.