We all like our tablets because they are so functional and full of features. In fact, if we could part with our desktops and laptops, many definitely would. However, the trade-offs for doing such a thing would be too large for a few people. For instance, we all love the ability to use optical drives on our computers because they allow us to install software without having to download it, burn your favorite music on CDs for your non-USB capable car stereos and boomboxes, and who can forget the ability to watch movies on the go without having to stream data.
For all the aforementioned and more, XDA Forum Member sainthout has produced a new kernel for the “missing link” device between the laptop and the tablet—the Asus TF101 Transformer. This new kernel, which is made for stock based ROMs on firmware 188.8.131.52, is filled with goodies and optimizations such as a reduced load by removal unneeded modules, better sound thanks to Voodoo improvements, and upgraded Tegra 2 codecs to help with video reproduction.
However, most of the new features fall short in comparison with the ability to connect a USB optical CD or DVD drive to the system. Enabling this option opens a sea of possibilities for the device. Having said that, the drive functionality is somewhat limited, due to its inability to play region locked (CSS protected) movies, which is all due to a kernel limitation. Among other great features comes the ability to use a LAN adapter (yes a LAN adapter and not a WLAN adapter). Essentially, this would allow you to enjoy blazing fast speeds of your home/work Ethernet line, as opposed to having to settle for mild to weak and (usually) shared WiFi network.
As a small added bonus, the kernel comes with a kernel manager app for all your tweaking needs, should you need to remove or add libs and modules out of the current configuration. Please do keep in mind that the Play store version of Busybox is required for the app to work properly. Please test it out and provide the dev with any feedback you may have.
- Based on Asus 184.108.40.206 WW kernelsources
- Backported all Linux 3.2 USB LAN drivers
- ISO9660 (+Joilet), UDF, FAT12 and Apple HFS file system support (USB CD\DVD access! See notes)
- Voodoo Sound support!
- Turned a few unneeded kernel features off, it’s smaller and even a bit faster that Asus’ original kernel!
- Installable using your favorite recovery (tested on CWM v220.127.116.11 v2)
- Works with every Asus based ROM (Original Asus ROM, Revolver, Android Revolution HD and possible some more)
- New versions of Tegra 2 codecs for ICS based ROMs (will be provided within a separate installable .zip)
- Kernel manager application to manage loaded drivers and file system modules!
You can find more information in the original thread.
Want something published in the Portal? Contact any News Writer._________
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip! -- Join us for xda:devcon 2014!