Nowadays, it’s become increasingly common for individuals to use their mobile phones as personal communication devices and mobile computers, rather than for placing phone calls. However, for the few holdouts out there, there are a few ways left to make the experience a little more enjoyable.
In order to give the old fashioned calling experience a few new tricks, XDA Recognized Developer lowveld created Ultimate Call Screen HD. As its name implies, this app is a new take on the call screen for Android devices. Its most noticeable feature is the replacement incoming call screen. Rather than showing a small contact picture, Ultimate Call Screen HD presents a full-screen image that you can set through the gallery or using the Android Share intent.
Lowveld’s app also offers quite a bit of additional functionality. It can receive and display incoming text messages, even turning on the display when the device is asleep. Furthermore, there are options for call filtering with whitelists and blacklists to help protect your privacy and block out unwanted callers. Finally, you can even setup gestures to handle incoming calls discreetly.
In the words of the developer:
Ultimate Call Screen HD is much more than a Fullscreen Caller ID replacement. It combines:
- Fullscreen caller ID replacement
- Fullscreen SMS receiver
- Complete theme support for both call and SMS screens, personalizable per contact
- Contact Picture manager with builtin image editor
- Facebook Linking of friends to contacts
- Picture syncing of HD pictures to phone internal contacts (say goodbye to low-res contact pictures)
- Call blocker (whitelist, blacklist, block all calls, block unknown numbers, block selected contacts)
- Sensor-base actions (turn phone to mute ringer, hangup call or to put on speaker)
- Swipe gestures (reject and answer calls, reject with sms, reply to sms, …)
- Integration with android “share” function of pictures: Just choose “Add to UCS” and pick a contact
Those interested should head over to the application thread to get started._________
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip! -- Join us for xda:devcon 2014!