More and more smartphone manufacturers have been moving towards on-screen buttons, with Google really pushing for it over the physical button alternative. However, there are still a few OEMs (we're looking at you, Samsung) that have preferred to keep things a bit more traditional. Tell us which way you prefer and why.
App Review: Live in Peace and Quiet with Silence – XDA Developer TV
With every app you install, it seems you get another icon in your notification bar. Along with that icon often comes a sound. Not only does your smartphone device ring when someone calls, it dings when you get a text message, Facebook wall post, Twitter retweet, Google+ community invitation, GroupOn deal notification, and your move notification with Words With Friends. After catching up on all that, you want your rest, but those noises—Someone stop the noises!
XDA Forum Member skmpowdjy offers up a Holo UI-themed application to create silence. In this video XDA Developer TV Producer TK reviews Silence. TK shows off the application and gives his thoughts, so check out this app review.
Be sure to check out other great XDA Developer TV Videos
- App Review: Simple Web Browsing with Naked Browser – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Save Your Battery with One Power Guard – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Stylish Web Browsing with Holoweb Browser – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Unlock your Phone Differently with Picture Password LockScreen – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Dim Your Screen with Screen Standby – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Run a FTP Server on Android with FTP Server Ultimate – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Access Your Android’s SD Card with WiFi Explorer – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Control Your Phone with NFC Tags Using AnyTAG NFC – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Manage Your Apps with Apps Manager – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Protect Your Device with Hidden Eye – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Remotely Control your Android Device with TeamViewer – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Hear Sounds Over Your Music with Around Sound – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Holo Launcher, Ice Cream Sandwich Launcher and More! – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Enhance Your Browsing with ICS Browser+ – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Shoot in Bursts with Fast Burst Camera for Android – XDA Developer TV
- App Review: Toggle in Your Notification Bar with Notification Toggle – XDA Developer TV
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
While there are frequent unexplained changes and pushes to Google's AOSP repositories, an interesting-looking new branch has been pushed out recently, called "master-soong". Taking a look at the changes made to the manifest repository (which is used to specify the repositories to be downloaded when building Android), it appears there are some new repositories making an appearance. Of note here are new prebuilt repositories for Go, and Ninja. Go is a programming language, created by Google, which compiles to produce...
There already are many solutions on the Google Play store if you want to send a link to one of your devices -- but what if you wanted to do it quickly without having to install any software or logging in to a website on the recipient end? Most apps require you to do either or both, which can be a hassle (or even a security risk) in some cases. Luckily, XDA Forum Member wyemun has developed CaastMe. Inspired by...