To me, applications like this one are really important for school students. I bought my first significant Android the same year I began my Physics degree at my university, and immediately I realised how tremendously helpful it was. From accurate graphing applications to TI emulators (don't judge me, the real thing costs crazy amounts here!), passing through giants like Wolfram and MATLAB Mobile, there were a lot of tools for one to excel with. In fact, I'd say that without Android I wouldn't have chosen...
Beta Testing for XDA Forum Redesign is Now Open!
Over the past two weeks, some of you have discovered the new XDA 2010 “style” for the forums, which is the new visual style we’ve been working on for XDA for almost six months. We appreciate all the feedback so far. There are still bugs to be worked out, but we think it’s time to more broadly introduce it to the community. We spent COUNTLESS hours on this–much of that volunteer time from certain members of the community and the fantastic XDA moderators. Thank you so much to everyone who helped (or who offered to)! The new visual style for the forum is clean, modern, and reminiscent of the XDA “feel” that you’re all so used to. We hope you like it.
Eventually this style will be the new default. While we’re in beta mode, you can switch to it with this link. or by using the dropdown menu at the very bottom of the page (“XDA 2010 BETA”).
The style selection is saved with a cookie– so, for now, clearing them (or just clicking to log out) will bring you back to the good old lemon-colored XDA. If not, click here to force it back.
Some very IMPORTANT notes:
– We intend to continue to support the old style, so if you don’t like this one, don’t worry, you can switch back!
– The new style works much better on the most recent versions of all the popular browsers. It’s unusable on IE6 and will have some bugs on IE7.
– There are two new ad units. Our goal in the redesign was to not annoy members with new ads but to annoy guests (meaning, unregistered users) juuuust a little bit (so we can continue to exist/pay mounting server bills!). There is a new ad within the first post in every thread. Members will NOT see this (if you’re not a member, just register for free). There is a new square ad on the forum home page. Members can avoid this one too by switching to our new “compact mode.”
– By popular demand, there is a new “compact” view of our forum home page in the new style which is faster loading and easier to navigate. If you’re using a mobile browser, we’ve added code to automatically switch to the compact view. You can switch to it by clicking on the link in the breadcrumb bar at the top. This selection will be saved with a cookie.
– We are doing our best to optimize the speed of the new style. Some people love it, others are finding it a bit slow.
Here is a new thread to submit bugs found in the new style. There is a known bug list in the first post (which we will keep updated). It would be very helpful if you check that list before submitting.
Originally posted by svetius
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
XDA Recognized Contributor Albe95 has shared with us what looks to be Galaxy S6 applications. The ones he's provided are the GearManager, the Optical Reader, GeoNews and Kids Mode. The applications are available for download through the links in the opening post, but keep in mind it is likely that they might not be compatible with your device. There's also new information about more applications and system interface features revealed in the same thread: The alleged S6 statusbar and panel are ported to the...
Only a few years ago, it was normal for a major app release to be available for iOS but come months later to Android. That seems to no longer be the case, as Android has advanced tremendously with Google putting a huge effort into its Play Store and ecosystem. However, while the majority of major app releases are now made available for both platforms at the same time, there are a few iOS exclusives that some of us wish were on our favorite mobile OS (Hyperlapse comes to mind). Let us know which apps for the iPhone you wish were on Android.