The FCC has ruled on Net Neutrality! That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he reviews all the important stories from this week. Included in this week's news is the announcement of the Pebble Time Kickstarter and be sure to stay tuned for even more mobile world congress announcements! That's not all that's covered in today's video! Jordan talks about the other videos released this week on XDA TV. XDA TV Producer TK released an Xposed Tuesday...
BigAndroidBBQ XDA Session Roundup: The Future of Android Development
On Saturday, October 20, I moderated “The Future of Android Development” with a panel of XDA Recognized Developers consisting of:
- Elite Recognized Developer Supercurio
- Elite Recognized Developer Entropy512
- Recognized Developer Agrabren
- Recognized Developer and Retired Moderator Decad3nce
- Elite Recognized Developer and Senior Moderator Chainfire
The session was attended by over 100 people, with standing room only. At one point there were over 130 people listening to some of our developers discuss their projects, what excites them about Android development, and what they see as the future of development on Android. Here are some highlights:
- Supercurio discussed Project Voodoo and what the evolution of the project looked like and what the future holds.
- Entropy512 shared with us his experience working with the Android kernel and Samsung Exynos processors, specifically about cpu_idle and how to utilize it properly without negatively affecting battery consumption.
- Agrabren told us about Disarmed Toaster, and his vision for that project which seeks to unite three flavors of Android into one ROM where you choose what you want on flash utilizing AROMA.
- Decad3nce took us into the world of being a Device Maintainer for CyanogenMod, namely the Samsung Epic 4G, and how the process works to submit and work with code.
- Chainfire schooled us on proper usages of SuperUser access within applications, as well as telling us about his FAAPT apk build-script optimizations, and finished with sharing his new project “CF-Auto-Root.”
Thanks goes out to the developers involved who helped make this presentation a success. If you weren’t there, you really missed a great session. Below you can find some pictures from the presentation. Those who would like relive the experience or feel like they were there can view the slide deck on SlideShare.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Google announced today that it will be bringing ads to the Play Store, and while that will surely annoy the majority of us, it isn't the only thing that sucks about the Play Store. From the lack of clear communication with developers to ridiculous restrictions, there are a handful of very annoying things about Google's approach. Let us know what bugs you the most about the Play Store.
Smartwatches still have a lot of growing up to do. Not too long ago the latest Canalys figures revealed a rather disappointing outcome for 2014, something we covered with the ultimate conclusion that, once again, smartwatches had no year. The direction of smartwatches is unclear to even the biggest OEMs, and with every new option there seems to be polarizing dissonances from what people and OEMs want and what they both think they want. We've documented many of the reasons as to...