Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Cyanogen Inc. Come with your opinions and feel free to read some of our thoughts, then pick your side or play devil’s advocate to get your voice heard and engage in friendly discussion. You can read our food-for-thought or jump straight into the fray below! CyanogenMod is widely recognized across XDA for its solid performance, great feature set and far-reaching (and also long-lasting) support for all sorts of devices, from...
Charge Up Your Samsung Droid Charge With EE4
Updates are both the livelihood and the bane of Android users everywhere. Ultimately, these carrier-controlled packages determine exactly what we are able to do on our favorite toys. Often, these updates couldn’t come at a more opportune time. For example, the wireless 4G hotspot functionality baked into the Droid Charge was coded to lose functionality at the end of last month.
Now, thanks to XDA Moderator Committee member NotATreoFan, we are delighted to bring you news of a fresh new EE4 update for the charge, in which wireless hotspot functionality is now restored to its full LTE-sharing glory.
Restored wireless hotspot functionality, as well as various other bug fixes, are now just an update away. According to Verizon Wireless:
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, EE4, for your DROID CHARGE by Samsung. Verizon Wireless and Samsung encourage you to download this update.
- Improved battery life when placing a voice call.
- Easily return calls within the call log entry by pressing the phone icon.
- Outgoing calls from the Visual Voice Mail application will be placed properly.
- Pressing and holding the ‘1’ key will automatically route the user to the Voice Mail service (*86).
- Audio has been adjusted to avoid ‘No Audio’ or ‘Screeching Sounds’.
Web Browsing and Data Access
- Accurately detect and connect to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE or 3G network.
- Enhanced browser performance.
- Email and Messaging
- A new Email folder structure has been implemented.
- When a subfolder exists under a current Email folder, an arrow will appear to the right of the folder icon.
- When a user touches the arrow, the folder system will expand to show all subfolders available for selection.
- When an Exchange password has been modified, the device will direct the user to the password screen to adjust the saved password accordingly.
- Improvements in the Email and Calendar sync.
- Additional Device Features
- Restoration of Mobile Hotspot capability.
- When in USB Mass Storage mode (UMS), the device will be recognized immediately when plugged into a PC.
- Device recognizes ringtones purchased from the Verizon Wireless website.
- Improvements in GPS performance.
Tickle your fancy? If you’re a Charge owner, I’m sure it does. Head on over to the original thread for more, including how to start your update process![Thanks, NATF for the tip!]
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
There are tons of choices to choose from when looking for a great alarm app for Android. While the stock Clock app for AOSP does the job, it may lack some of the more advanced features from competitors. Let us know what your favorite alarm clock app is for Android and why.
Did you watch Apple's VP draw on his wrist during the Apple Watch announcement and wonder "why can't my Wear watch do that?" In typical XDA fashion, one enterprising forum member has brought similar functionality to Android Wear with a twist; it works on phones and watches alike, with other platforms on the way! The app is called Pinsy, and its release debut is a strong proof of concept with plenty of room to grow. You may remember the developer behind this project, XDA...