The Galaxy S6 Edge, Huawei Watch, Xperia Z4 Tablet, Moto E 2015 and Xperia M4 Aqua all have gotten new forums here at XDA. If you want the latest and greatest in hardware as of now, the Galaxy S6 Edge's top-tier processor, memory, and camera will most likely fulfill your everyday needs with blazing speed, and extra screen-space to boot. Huawei seems to have nailed the smartwatch with their new Huawei Watch, a classy-looking but also durable and powerful Android Wear...
Create Your Own Device Manager Functionality with OwnMdm
Not too long ago, Google unveiled Android Device Manager, allowing users to locate and sound an alarm to their devices when they have been misplaced or stolen. Recently thereafter, Google even allowed users to secure their devices remotely with the web-based tool.
Having additional options is always nice, though, and XDA Senior Member pacosal created an alternative that allows you to create your own Mobile Device Manager. The aptly titled ownMDM allows you (and only you) to remotely control your devices using two parts: a PHP-enabled web database that issues commands and a mobile app with device administrator functionality.
The real draw in pacosal’s solution, however, is the multitude of commands that you can send from the web interface. After selecting which device you wish to issue a command to, you can select from the following commands, as described by the author:
- Message: Send a notification to device. Enter your message below
– Lock: Will screen block the device
– Ring: The device will sound like a police car
– Enable Admin: The device will receive a popup to activate this App if it is not.
– Ping: The device will answer with a ping to check if is responding (check log)
– Location: The device will answer with its location at google maps and wifi networks (check log)
– Location Alarm: Send you alerts when the device go out or in the actual device location. Enter the number in meters below, for example 5000, (check log)
– Wipe: The device will be completely deleted, only if it is stolen and you can not recover it
– Lock with Key: This command will lock the device with your own PIN from console. Even if the mobile is rebooted the lock will work.
– Force update Model: Will get model data to console
– Record Audio: Will record a 20 seconds audio and will send it to your mail
– Take a Picture: The device will take a picture and will send it to your mail
– Receive a Sms: Perfect for knowing the mobile number of the Imsi inserted in the device
– Track Device: The device will return location, sound and pictures every 3 minutes for 15 minutes
Essentially, you get the functionality of Google’s first party offering, and then some—and this is all done from your own MDM server. Head over to the utility thread to get started.
[Many thanks to our Assistant Forum Admin Sir Scots for the tip!]
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Privacy and security are two increasingly important factors in today's globalized world, and with the surge of internet spying by government agencies and third parties, wiretaps are an everyday thing that don't just concern James Bond anymore. Encryption made its way to the semi-mainstream messaging world with the Telegram platform, but while millions flocked to it, it is still clear that convenience beats privacy for most of smartphone users. After all, with the huge user bases boasted by Whatsapp and the...
Matias Duarte, VP of Design at Google, is perhaps one of the most prolific software designers of recent times: Material Design, the highest exponent of Android beauty, is Matias' own brainchild. Without him and his creation, the biggest Android update of all time wouldn't have been what it was and our favorite platform would still carry a look that many deemed outdated even before Material Design was shown. With an internet following that spawned several internet memes and even a weird community,...