We are delighted to announce that starting on April 20th, a finalized deal with Google will make XDA Developers a software development division for the beloved search giant. This exciting transition will start as early as next week, where new XDA Talent Scouts from Google will browse our forums and reward the best contributors and offer them software development or design positions as well. A new set of XDA Forum Moderators from Google’s Legal Department will also make sure that...
CyanogenMod 11 M9 Now Available for Supported Devices
Another month has come and gone, and just like clockwork, we now have another CyanogenMod 11 monthly snapshot release. In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few months, you are likely already familiar with the CM team’s new M release system. Rather than providing release candidate and stable builds, the team now delivers monthly snapshot builds that are generally considered to be more stable and reliable than nightlies, and which can for practically all intents and purposes be used as daily driver builds.
Today’s builds come in at milestone 9 (M9), and it brings various new features, fixes, and even officially supported devices. This release is the first time in which a non-nightly release is compiled for the Xperia Z2, Z2 Tablet, and HTC One M8. In addition, M9 brings several new features such as tweaks to the lock screen, headset volume, quick settings, spam notification filtering, settings search, and so on. As stated on the official CyanogenMod Blog:
* Themes support for additional UI elements
* Heads Up Notifications – Bug Fixes
* Lockscreen – Allow doubletap to sleep when using secure keyguard
* Torch – Improve performance
* Safe Headset Volume – prompt when interfering with 3rd party device (Jawbone, Square, etc)
* Center clock support
* Quick Settings – respect locale changes on additional tiles
* Proximity Wake-Up support – prevent accidental wake-up of device by checking to see if proximity sensor is blocked (eg. Device is in a bag or pocket).
* Spam notification filtering – Set notifications to auto-ignore based on content (perfect for those pesky games that want you to ‘Save 20% on our new game’). Long-press offending notification to set as ignored; manage in Privacy settings.
* Settings Search – Additional improvements and highlighting
* Data Usage Info – Add support for CDMA devices without sim cards
* Bluetooth – Add additional A2DP profiles
* Bluetooth – Disable AVRCP 1.5 by default (fixes various car unit compatibility)
* Email – Fix saving attachments to storage for POP3 accounts
* Translations (Thanks CM Crowdin Team!)
* Account for Play Services induced wake-locks
* Fix encryption on some LG Devices
* Dialer – add support for Korean and Chinese to smart-dialer
The M9 builds are currently in the process of being compiled and will be available for all officially supported devices in due time. And at the time of this article, the tally is at 17 devices and counting. So if you’re a CyanogenMod fan, head over to the CyanogenMod Download Site and pick up the latest snapshot build. Then, be sure to head over to the XDA forums to share your experiences and get in on the additional modifications like kernels, root-level apps, mods, and themes.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
The lockscreen is a part of the OS that we see hundreds of times every day, whether we're using Android or iOS. The look of the lockscreen depends on the Android version, device manufacturer or ROM chef. In short, it differs for almost every user. Luckily enough, users can use third party alternatives that bring more features. One such application is Hi Locker, developed by XDA Senior Member thotran7989. Hi Locker can be found both on the Play store and...
Here on XDA TV we have a series we like to call Must Have Apps. These are apps that we think are so great and useful that you must have them. We’ve given this title to such programs as Pushbullet, Light Flow, Helium, the AROMA File Manager, ROM Toolbox and Pocket Casts. But today we have an app that surpasses them all. Former XDA TV Producer Adam Outler offers up a must have application. In this video, XDA TV Producer...