Do you let app updates happen automatically or do you regularly check for them? We're guessing the community will be pretty split here but we're interested in hearing your thoughts. Let us know below!
Daily Astronomy Pictures Straight from NASA with Fresco
There are a number of Android applications that help users take a glance at the stars. One of the most popular is the old Sky Map app, which used to be Google’s until it was donated to the open source community. However, for the best pictures and info about space, there are few places better than NASA. There is now an application that brings you a daily dose of space information and photography thanks to XDA Forum Member d-fader.
The app doesn’t just provide cool space pics that people can make their wallpaper, although that is of course possible. Each entry is complete with some info about what people are looking at, so it’s a little astronomy lesson every day. The features include:
* View over 5800 images with a new one being downloaded every day
* Mark images as favorites
* View a random image with one button click (I use it to find cool pictures and stories, you can cycle through all images or your favorites)
* View a grid with image archive (with ascending, descending and random sorting)
* Full Text Search for images (e.g. searching for ‘apollo moon armstrong’ will show all images containing those words, the index uses Porter Stemming Algorithm)
* Double click an image to view it full-size and you can zoom it
* Set image as wallpaper
* Automatically set wallpaper to today’s image as soon as it’s downloaded (my favorite)
* Share images (via all channels available on your device)
Thus far, users are really enjoying the application, and no issues have been reported. Development is not over yet, though. Soon, Fresco will be available in Dutch, as translations of the captions were found on another website. So if you’re a fan of space, enjoy reading about it, and like those epic space photos, this is the application for you.
For more details, check out the Fresco thread.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
The Google Play Store, weighing in with more than 1.4 million apps at last count, is a vast expanse of quality content and APK duds alike. To put this into context, it would take the average user more than 8 days of continuous scrolling to make it through the whole list at two per second, let alone the added months to click through and check out screenshots, or years to separate the wheat from the chaff via thorough review. Blogs...
Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on New vs. Old. Come with your opinions and feel free to read some of our thoughts, then pick your side or play devil’s advocate to get your voice heard and engage in friendly discussion. You can read our food-for-thought or jump straight into the fray below! Smartphone purchases make for some of the sweetest times of the year for many of us. After all, we are hobbyists of Android and a new...