We’re all no doubt aware of the numerous apps available on Google Play that assist in the backup and restore of apps and data. They are a vital tool in the Android ROM flasher’s toolkit. XDA Senior Member wizwin has come up with an alternative, but somewhat more unique method of backup up apps and data. AndSync is a Perl script used to backup your apps and data to your computer, and then restore them back when required.
Instead of performing the backups from your device as is usually the case, this method is all performed from your computer. All that’s required on your computer is Android SDK (for ADB shell) and Perl v5.10.1. Both Windows and Unix based systems are supported. If the Operating System supports Perl then this will work for you.
The script let’s you do the following:
- Synchronize applications if you have multiple android devices.
- Backup and Restore applications in batch.
- Un-install applications in batch.
- Backup and Restore application data on rooted and non-rooted (only for ICS and above) devices.
- Use you PC or Laptop to perform full backups.
Data backup and restore is available only for rooted devices and non-rooted devices running ICS or above. Froyo isn’t currently supported.
If you want to try backing up apps to your computer, head over to wizwin’s thread._________
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip! -- Join us for xda:devcon 2014!