Google Glass XE12 Update Brings Wink Pics, Lock Screen, Hangouts and YouTube Glassware, and More!
As wearable computing becomes more and more useful, it is finally starting to take off. While the vast majority of wearable computing devices come in the form of various different smartwatches, an increasing number of users are now Google Glass Explorers. Luckily for them, today’s update to XE12 brings quite a bit of functionality, making the device significantly more useful before.
The XE12 update brings a healthy dose of new features. Some of the highlights are as follows:
- Wink Pics – Glass v2 owners can now snap pictures just by winking with their right eye. This works even with the display powered off, which could presumably spark privacy concerns.
- Hangouts Glassware – In addition to video calls, you can now send chats and photos via Hangouts.
- YouTube Glassware – In addition to simply being able to watch YouTube videos on Glass, you can now upload directly from Glass. You can choose between private, unlisted, and public for new uploads.
- Improved Google Play Music Support – A new touch menu allows you to better switch through your playlists and stations.
- Improved Google Search Cards – Several new search cards have been added such as distance and nutritional info.
- iOS Support – the new MyGlass for iOS app that will be available later this week features nearly all of the functionality of the Android app, including turn-by-turn navigation, and more.
Along with the new features, Google has given Glass lock screen support. This is activated whenever you deactivate Glass or take it off your head (provided that on-head detection is enabled). Along with the lock screen support, Guest mode has now been removed, as it has proven to be too difficult to maintain.
Glass Explorers (and those who wish to become Glass Explorers) can read up on the update by visiting the source link below. Are you a fan of the new functionality? What about the loss of Guest Mode? Leave us your thoughts in the comments below, and don’t forget to visit our Google Glass forum!
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!