If you are familiar with Xiaomi, you might have heard that they are not the most compliant when it comes to the General Public License that makes the core of Android open to us. The terms of the GPLv2 state that since the Android kernel is based on the Linux kernel, which is licensed under GPL,v2 Android has to be open-source for everyone to study or modify, and those that modify the Android kernel have to make their sources immediately available for...
How to Root the HTC Desire HD
In today’s episode of XDA TV, Sam takes you through the steps required to S-OFF, root, and flash a custom ROM on your Desire HD, as quickly and simply as he possibly can. Click on to check out the video, plus specific steps if you prefer the text.
Steps for this process:
1. Download the Advanced Ace Hack Kit
2. Extract the files
3. Install Desire HD drivers in /tools/windrivers/
4. Connect the device via USB and turn on USB Debugging in Settings-Applications-Development
5. Run the hack-ace.cmd as Administrator and start the process by typing “1” and “Enter”
6. The process will run and will take about 5-6 minutes to complete
7. Download your ROM of choice, do not extract it, and copy the .zip to the device SD card
8. Rename the file to “update.zip”
9. Power off your device
10. To boot in the bootloader, perform a battery pull, reinstate the battery, and hold the volume down and power buttons
11. Using the volume buttons to navigate, and power button to make selections, boot into Recovery, clear the cache, and select ‘install update from sdcard’.
12. When the flashing process has completed, reboot your device and wait about 3-4 minutes for it to boot fully
13. You device is now rooted and has a custom ROM installed
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Xiaomi was founded on April 6th, 2010 and its fifth anniversary is just around the corner. In the past five years, the company has grown by leaps and bounds, rising to the positions of largest smartphone OEM in China and third-largest globally and coupled with its expansion plans and 100 million sales benchmark, this anniversary warranted a fervent celebration. After teasing products on its forums for a few days, Xiaomi held the anniversary event earlier today and staying true to the...
A few months ago, we came up with the idea of presenting the history of flagship devices released by some of the major Android OEMs. In this, we've had the pleasure of bringing you the stories of Sony (Ericsson) and Samsung. Now, it's time for our third and final installment. This is a very special episode, as the OEM I will talk about was heavily connected to Android and the beginnings of XDA as a whole. Yes, I'm talking about HTC, the...