After months of anticipation, both the Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 have finally been unveiled. Now that we have all seen both of the devices in all their glory, many of us have some decisions to make. Which of the two beasts do you prefer: the Galaxy S6 or the One M9? Let us know which device you plan on buying and why!
Ice Cream Sandwich Rolling Out to Sony Xperia S
Just about six months ago, we wrote about how Sony was extremely prompt in releasing an alpha build of Ice Cream Sandwich for much of its Xperia line. Now to put this in context, this is the same company that tried to convince us that their skinned version of Android 2.1 Éclair was better than Android 2.2 Froyo, and thus an upgrade to vanilla Froyo would actually be a downgrade.
Luckily, it seems as if Sony has learned from its mistakes and is now doing its best to actively support the very customers who ultimately buy their products. Today, Sony has announced that they are rolling out Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich to the Sony Xperia S. With it, come several new applications aimed at delivering a more Sony-like media experience.
First off, we’re excited to introduce a completely new way to experience your media – your music, images, videos, movies and films – with our new “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies” applications:
- The “WALKMAN” application blends the best of signature Sony audio technology with social features; to discover the music your friends like and share personal favorites. Facebook integration gives you a visual way to interact with content – accessing album art, artist images and information, directly from Gracenote®
- The “Album” application brings new intuitive ways to sort and browse high quality photos and videos in blazing speed, as well as providing instant viewing, commenting and sharing of photos on Facebook and other online albums, leveraging the great camera capabilities of Xperia S
- The “Movies” application streamlines the playback and viewing of movies in high quality audio and video, whilst using intelligent database search to grab movie posters and information for a richer experience
And now for the software upgrade to Android version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich– some of the cool features you can look forward to are:
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets (improved personalization)
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for clear overview of your applications
The update will be available over-the-air, but those wishing to update a bit early can do so with the web-based Xperia Update. To begin the update, watch the video below and head over to the Sony Forums and their Mobile Blog to learn more.
[Thanks to User Experience Administrator Svetius for the tip!]
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Samsung's Unpacked Event has now come and gone through Mobile World Congress 2015, and we've got a good look at what could be the most advanced phone of the year thus far. The event started shortly after its scheduled time at 12:30PM today and the only devices shown were the Galaxy S6 and its Edge variant, both of which pack an impressive amount of features, spectacular internals and an all-new beautiful design. The show began with a quiet voice whispering to...
Each year, smartphone makers attempt to one-up each other in features and specs, but time and again these improvements feel incremental rather than revolutionary. Samsung hopes to break this trend with a new hardware and software design philosophy, and press details of the new-and-improved cameras shared by the S6 and S6 Edge show that they are off to a great start. Once you get past the curved displays and wraparound Gorilla Glass 4, the most striking feature on these slabs is the...