With XDA being a community of Android enthusiasts, it is not uncommon to see lots of bashing on Apple's iPhone here. There are different reasons for the hate, but we'd like to hear your number one reason for not going with the iPhone. Let us know your thoughts below!
Ice Cream Sandwich Rolling Out to Sony Xperia S
Just about six months ago, we wrote about how Sony was extremely prompt in releasing an alpha build of Ice Cream Sandwich for much of its Xperia line. Now to put this in context, this is the same company that tried to convince us that their skinned version of Android 2.1 Éclair was better than Android 2.2 Froyo, and thus an upgrade to vanilla Froyo would actually be a downgrade.
Luckily, it seems as if Sony has learned from its mistakes and is now doing its best to actively support the very customers who ultimately buy their products. Today, Sony has announced that they are rolling out Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich to the Sony Xperia S. With it, come several new applications aimed at delivering a more Sony-like media experience.
First off, we’re excited to introduce a completely new way to experience your media – your music, images, videos, movies and films – with our new “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies” applications:
- The “WALKMAN” application blends the best of signature Sony audio technology with social features; to discover the music your friends like and share personal favorites. Facebook integration gives you a visual way to interact with content – accessing album art, artist images and information, directly from Gracenote®
- The “Album” application brings new intuitive ways to sort and browse high quality photos and videos in blazing speed, as well as providing instant viewing, commenting and sharing of photos on Facebook and other online albums, leveraging the great camera capabilities of Xperia S
- The “Movies” application streamlines the playback and viewing of movies in high quality audio and video, whilst using intelligent database search to grab movie posters and information for a richer experience
And now for the software upgrade to Android version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich– some of the cool features you can look forward to are:
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets (improved personalization)
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for clear overview of your applications
The update will be available over-the-air, but those wishing to update a bit early can do so with the web-based Xperia Update. To begin the update, watch the video below and head over to the Sony Forums and their Mobile Blog to learn more.
[Thanks to User Experience Administrator Svetius for the tip!]
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
If you are familiar with Xiaomi, you might have heard that they are not the most compliant when it comes to the General Public License that makes the core of Android open to us. The terms of the GPLv2 state that since the Android kernel is based on the Linux kernel, which is licensed under GPL,v2 Android has to be open-source for everyone to study or modify, and those that modify the Android kernel have to make their sources immediately available for...
Xiaomi was founded on April 6th, 2010 and its fifth anniversary is just around the corner. In the past five years, the company has grown by leaps and bounds, rising to the positions of largest smartphone OEM in China and third-largest globally and coupled with its expansion plans and 100 million sales benchmark, this anniversary warranted a fervent celebration. After teasing products on its forums for a few days, Xiaomi held the anniversary event earlier today and staying true to the...