Amidst all the Android frenzy caused by the release of the HTC One M9, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet, Microsoft added its own offering, albeit non flagship, to the table with the announcement of the mid range duo of Lumia 640 and 640 XL. Marketed as being "Windows 10 ready", both these devices launch with Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box. Under the hood, they rock Qualcomm's Snapdragon 400 chipset with a 1.2 GHz Quad core CPU and...
Laser-Etched Galaxy Nexus Backplate Winners
Last week, we began a contest for some custom, laser-etched backplate for the Galaxy Nexus made by the fine folks at GRUVER concepts. As you may remember, we said that winners would be chosen based on originality, humor, and ingenuity. It is now one week later, and the contest is now over. While we didn’t quite have “over 9000” entries, we had well over 100, many of which were indeed quite frightening.
As you can imagine, we really enjoyed hearing your most chilling tales of device hackery. And as hard as it may be to pick just twenty winners, we will do our best to highlight the most interesting and unique responses we received—and reward them accordingly. If you’re one of the lucky winners, expect a PM from me in the coming days asking for your shipping information.
CDMA / LTE Galaxy Nexus Winners
- Kilj0y because why should we punish those who read the instructions
- kdietze3 because of his celebrity encounter
- trestevenson who reminds us about the importance of taking the appropriate backup precautions before flashing anything
- housry23 because radio flashes on HTC devices are scary
- dmbatson because his Galaxy Nexus gets treated better than his girlfriend—his words, not mine
- ssconceptz because ODIN crashes are so serious
- wyattyoss because he truly epitomizes ORD
GSM Galaxy Nexus Winners
- darkamikaze for his rythmic ode to flashing. After all, who can argue with, “Yank goes the USB and the phone does die?”
- androo45 because even those who aren’t tech savvy can help us out from time to time
- killster because he admits to and has reformed from his former iToy ways in true XDA fashion
- HtmdroidGN and how he quickly learned the differences between development work meant for the LTE and GSM Galaxy Nexus models
- cocchiararo because we’ve all been there before—trying to help a friend (or boss), only to run into major issues
- petsasj for his epic tale of traveling flashing woes
- Memnoch30 for dealing with the HTC Kaiser and fixing it with FrankenKaiser by Senior Moderator GSLEON3
- And finally, Elite Recognized Developer AdamOutler who shows us that if at first you brick, simply write tools to fix it
Honorable Mention These people forgot to write down their flavor Galaxy Nexus, and thus cannot win the backplate, but still came up with awesome tales that deserve some kind of XDAppreciation… in the form of an XDA-Developers T-Shirt!
- Kryptonian_Knight because when his wife was in labor, he was just as concerned about flashing his Droid Charge
- Zoidpilot because at some point, we all used to think that device hacking was “some alien language.”
- chadouming because he turned his flashing woes into a learning experience for all
Thank you to everyone who entered. Your stories were all amazing reads, and truly demonstrated the power and awesomeness of the XDA community.
Those of you who didn’t win, but still wish to purchase a custom, laser-etched backplate can visit the website above or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get the ball rolling. Don’t forget to use the coupon code XDAFTW for 10% off.
Now get back to flashing!
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Since the formation of Cyanogen Inc. back in 2013, the company has seen a turbulent state of affairs - from breakthrough innovations and new hardware collaborators to controversial partnerships and falling outs - and the past year and a half has served to strengthen its foothold in the market. Starting out as a software provider for the OnePlus One and expanding into India with Yu Yureka, nothing has hindered the team's drive and vision, and today at MWC, Cyanogen has announced...
The HTC One M9 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 were unveiled at Mobile World Congress! That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he reviews all the important stories from this weekend. Included in this weekend's news is the announcement of the Huawei Watch Android Wear device and be sure to check out the article talking about IKEA selling Qi enabled furniture. That's not all that's covered in today's video! Be sure to check out the other videos...