“Mandatory” OTA for the Verizon Note 3 Brings Significant Bugfixes, More Bloat
Frustrated Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 users, you’re about to receive a rather significant OTA if you haven’t already. Verizon has now begun rolling out an OTA update that promises major bugfixes for some of the most pesky issues plaguing the device so far. Unfortunately, the update also comes with a catch: It brings four new pieces of Verizon special issue bloatware.
The OTA takes the form of a “mandatory” update. Luckily it doesn’t update itself without your consent, but if you choose to not install the update when prompted, it will reappear every 30 minutes thereafter until the update is installed.
According to the release PDF, the update brings the following changes:
KEY DEVICE ENHANCEMENTS
The following apps/widgets/services are now preloaded:
• MyInfoZone widget
• Verizon Support & Protection (VSP) version 2.0.0
• Verizon Cloud
The following issues have been resolved:
• Incoming call displays Picture Me on screen when using Call Waiting
• Handwriting data entry issue for email and SMS messages has been resolved
• Email sync issue has been fixed and connectivity has been improved
• BT audio continues after a call is missed • Mobile Hotspot reliability has
• Samsung keyboard crash issue has been resolved
• Notification Panel responsiveness has been improved
The following additions have been made:
• Voicemail Notification has an Urgent Priority notification
The following areas have been improved:
• Sound quality
Yep, that’s right. Four new pre-installed applications. And I don’t know about you, but “MyInfoZone Widget,” VMWare, “Verizon Support & Protection,” and Verizon Cloud don’t sound terribly useful—at least not useful enough to force users into installing them. But that’s why we root, right?
Visit Verizon’s support document to get the full scoop on the update. Then make your way over to the update discussion thread to get in on the discussion. If you’ve already updated, let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and don’t forget to give us your thoughts on the after-the-fact mandatory bloat.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!