More and more smartphone manufacturers have been moving towards on-screen buttons, with Google really pushing for it over the physical button alternative. However, there are still a few OEMs (we're looking at you, Samsung) that have preferred to keep things a bit more traditional. Tell us which way you prefer and why.
MyHUB Distribution Network for all Sense ROM Developers
As a developer, making sure that your users are running the latest version of your creation is always a challenge. This is then compounded when you’re dealing with modifications such as kernels, ROMs, and skins rather than applications that can be set to automatically update through Google Play. In order to help alleviate this, XDA Senior Member mikrosmile created myHUB to serve as a hub for all Sense-based ROM developers.
The project originally began as an addition to the DarkSense ROM on the HTC Sensation, as a way to seamlessly provide updates and compatible downloads. However, now the application has been rebuilt with additional features such as an OTA engine and more.
So what can you do with myHub, the OTA engine, and its other applications? According to the developer:
Features of myHUB:
- Provide News
- Provide any Download sections you want (Skins, System MODs, Icons, Keyboards, Kernels)
- Full preview of your Content
- Automatic installation of apk or zip files
- Automatic checking of MD5
- In-app updates from myHUB Developer
- Ease configuration of myHUB (one txt file in your System)
- On-line updates (changes) of all your Content
Features of myHUB OTA:
- Provide ROM updates (as easy as possible) with almost similar to HTC’s OTA
- You can provide Full ROMs or Small size OTA
- Add your Changelog
- Checks current version with latest available on your Server
Features of myHUB Web:
- Provide any web link together with news and open inside app
- Fully featured web browser
Features of myHUB Files:
- Install any apk or zip files (Zip installation through Recovery)
- Open any file through Favorite apps (Images, Audio, Video files, Text, etc)
- Checking of MD5 of files (Simple calculation of MD5, enter MD5 to check if correct)
- Manipulate with files (Cut, Copy, Delete, View properties)
Beneficial to both end users and developers, myHUB can dramatically streamline your update and discovery process. Head over to the original thread to get started.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
While there are frequent unexplained changes and pushes to Google's AOSP repositories, an interesting-looking new branch has been pushed out recently, called "master-soong". Taking a look at the changes made to the manifest repository (which is used to specify the repositories to be downloaded when building Android), it appears there are some new repositories making an appearance. Of note here are new prebuilt repositories for Go, and Ninja. Go is a programming language, created by Google, which compiles to produce...
There already are many solutions on the Google Play store if you want to send a link to one of your devices -- but what if you wanted to do it quickly without having to install any software or logging in to a website on the recipient end? Most apps require you to do either or both, which can be a hassle (or even a security risk) in some cases. Luckily, XDA Forum Member wyemun has developed CaastMe. Inspired by...