Yesterday, we discussed the second part of our tech giants coming to the west series with Huawei. What people may not know, however, is that Huawei owns a company by the name of HiSilicon. Hisilicon's processor department may not be the most popular in the west but their technology is impressive, with year on year improvements being easily seen. In the coming years, manufacturers such as Qualcomm may have to face the fact that there are other companies just as able...
Odex with Ease Using Auto Odexer
When customizing a ROM, decisions have to be made. One of the more interesting decisions to make is whether or not to odex. In odexing, an ODEX file is created and located next to its respective APK, allowing the relevant information to be quickly loaded into the Dalvik VM. The downside to this is that the ability to theme that application is greatly reduced. While the system APKs are odexed by default from the factory, other applications are not. For those not interested in theming and who want to odex a single, specific file, the process can be daunting.
Thanks to XDA Forum Member alkhafaf, developers can now odex with ease thanks to his Auto Odexer Script. Using it is simple. Extract the downloaded file to a folder then:
1. First put the original odex and apk (or jar) file in the “original” folder.
2. Put your modded deodexed apk (or jar) file in the “mod” folder
3. If you modified any file in the (res) folder of the deodexed apk (or jar) or u made any editing to xml files then drag
these files from the deodexed apk (or jar) and drop them in the original apk (or jar) (if u made changes to xml files, then drag the resources.arsc to the original apk (or jar) file). Use 7zip for this operation.
4. Connect your phone with usb and make sure adb is working. ( and don’t forget to check the USB Debugging in the settings of your device).
5. It is better that you boot in recovery mod, specially when odexing framework files.
6. Now run the script, choose the one for apk or for the jar, according to file you want to odex.
7. after the script opens, write the name of the apk (or jar) file without the .apk (or .jar)
The process is very easy and intuitive for the end-user. So those of you looking to do some odexing, head on over to the original thread and give this bad boy a spin.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
There are many great Android handsets on the market today that are much cheaper than the flagships from the major players like Samsung and HTC. The OnePlus One and Nexus 5 are two great examples of high-end phones being offered at prices much cheaper than competitors. But there are phones in the mid-range that may offer even more bang for your buck. Let us know which smartphone deal you think has the best value.
TapDeck which has just entered beta, is a smart wallpaper app that allows you to change to a random wallpaper by simply double tapping your screen. After selecting images you like from a selection, your wallpapers will be chosen based on similar images from Flickr, Imgur, Reddit and Wikipedia. If you see one you like, simply swipe up and you will see information relevant to the image. After spending a day with this app it is clear that it is still...