Open Source Active Display Implementation Added to ChameleonOS
We’ve given much coverage recently to applications that simulate the Moto X‘s Active Notifications functionality on other devices. Since applications already exist to bring this functionality in a non ROM-specific manner, you may be wondering why we would feature a ROM-based solution. Well, when these additions are made to a fully open source ROM, with commits clearly visible and usable by other developers, we pay close attention.
When deciding what new features to add to ChameleonOS, XDA Senior Member 0xD34D decided that the ROM should incorporate functionality similar to the Moto X’s most known and copied feature. Rather than just adding the code and not sharing it, the developer has opened up the code so that others can use it in their own ROMs. Coming in at five commits (three to android_frameworks_base and two to Settings), the code is easily transplantable to other ROMs. However, since ChameleonOS started off by basing itself on CyanogenMod, ROMs that start from another base may have unresolved dependancies.
So what do you get in this implementation of the feature? The features, as stated by the developer:
- Instantly turns the device screen on and displays notifications as they arrive
- Up to 8 notifications displayed in a horizontal strip that can be viewed by touching the notification icon
- Short notification description can be displayed around the outside of the center ring
- Touch the center ring notification to view the full notification
- Unlock the device, open the app for the current notification or dismiss the current notification
- Set a re-display time to have active display remind you of your pending notifications
- Adjustable brightness level for when active display turns the screen on
- Pocket mode which allows active display to turn on once you remove the device from your pocket or bag
More information about ChameleonOS’s implementation can be found in the feature thread. To learn more about the specific commits the developer added to bring Active Notifications to ChameleonOS, head over to this post.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!