Samsung Captivate Gets Official Gingerbread Update
If you’re a ROM flashing addict (and, truth to be told, you should be if you’re visiting this site), you probably don’t even know that the Samsung Captivate, AT&T’s version of the Galaxy S, didn’t get its official Android 2.3 Gingerbread update up until a couple of hours ago. But for everyone else running the stock ROM, you can now look at Samsung’s instructions for applying the update, which sadly requires the dreaded Kies software. But better than nothing, eh?
Here is a changelog provided by Samsung:
New User Features
- Download Management.
- Intuitive Text Input.
- New layout for larger fonts and easy inputs
- Word prediction. Multi-touch for numerical input (Shift + Numbers)
- One-touch Word Selection and Copy/Past
- Fixed Top-menu in Gmail.
- Voice Search added into the search categories.
- Vertical play mode added for YouTube.
Of course, there’s a nice forum thread where you can discuss this latest and last major update – the Captivate, just like its other Galaxy S brethrens, isn’t going to get any official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich love.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!