Google announced today that it will be bringing ads to the Play Store, and while that will surely annoy the majority of us, it isn't the only thing that sucks about the Play Store. From the lack of clear communication with developers to ridiculous restrictions, there are a handful of very annoying things about Google's approach. Let us know what bugs you the most about the Play Store.
Save Your Hardware Buttons, Lose the Heartache With 4EXT Recovery Touch
Up, up, down, down, menu, back, power. Sound familiar? If you’ve ever used a standard Android recovery, I’m sure it does. Why is it that accessing the recovery partition on a modern, touch-screen device feels a little like entering the Konami code? Thanks to 4EXT Recovery Touch by XDA forum member madmaxx82, this is no longer the case for the HTC Sensation, Desire S, Incredible S / 2, Desire HD / Inspire 4G, and Desire Z /G2.
Making full use of the your touchscreen, EXT4 Recovery Touch allows you to accomplish all the typical Android recovery fare in a touch-friendly manner. Additionally, the recovery is extremely themeable, meaning that you can customize the recovery to your heart’s delight. If that’s not enough, the recovery even detects and displays your local time. Those concerned about performance needn’t worry, as the developer assures us that speed is unhindered due to the asynchronous UI rendering and a low overhead. The feature list, according to the developer:
- includes all of the many features from 4EXT Recovery Classic, see 2nd post
- brand new user interface: “4EXT UI”
- touchscreen only!
- extreme theming capabilities!
- nearly ALL YOU SEE is changeable.
- “worker bar”: create your own custom animations, there are (nearly) no limits! Use any shapes/sizes/animations et.c.
- extra low cpu needed for that: absolutely no negative impact on backup/restore speed.
- async UI rendering for optimal performance for the “heavy tasks” like backup/restore
- based upon the extremely, rock solid version 4EXT Recovery Classic v2.2.7 RC5
- with little enhancements: “preserve theme” now works
- Detects your local time zone
- Displays your local time
- Correct time is used for backups you start from within recovery
- .. explore the new interface to see more
Looking to get in on the action? Just head over to the appropriate recovery threads to get started:Whiskey103 for the heads up!]
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Smartwatches still have a lot of growing up to do. Not too long ago the latest Canalys figures revealed a rather disappointing outcome for 2014, something we covered with the ultimate conclusion that, once again, smartwatches had no year. The direction of smartwatches is unclear to even the biggest OEMs, and with every new option there seems to be polarizing dissonances from what people and OEMs want and what they both think they want. We've documented many of the reasons as to...
Every day, the majority of us use the internet through several different internet service providers, but what we may not think about whilst using this service is how much control these companies have over our experience. AT&T recently launched their rival to the Google Fiber service and subsequently looked for a way to further monetize on their offering. For an extra $29 on top of the $70 monthly charge, you can buy your privacy back from them. Otherwise expect online adverts...