Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of 2,500 news items and forum threads every 24 hours. Only the most timely and interesting bits survive the editing process, but the portal's front page still sees weekly counts in excess of 100 posts. This is a glut of content to absorb, especially if following the news cycle isn't your full-time job. However, the tech world is vast, and the information must flow. With this in mind, please...
Share Apps Across Multiple Users on the Nexus 7
One of the more talked about features of Jelly Bean 4.2 is the ability to switch users. It started as a hidden feature in earlier versions, and has become a full blown feature in Android 4.2. While it has caused some issues for some, the functionality itself is awesome. Now, there is a method to not only share devices with multiple accounts, but share apps across accounts on the Nexus 7.
XDA Forum Member jeepguy04 released an application that will allow users to share applications across multiple accounts on their Nexus 7. This is much like standard operating systems that lets all users access apps at the admin account’s discretion. The features, known issues, and other details about the app include:
- This is BETA
-You must have ROOT
– This changes system data on non documented files it could screw something up.
– I’m not responsible for any problems this causes or lost data or bricked or broken devices
– please use cation
– it is currently built to run on main user to enable or disable apps on secondary users (once root is fully working on secondary users I will see about making it run correctly on secondary user’s account)
– not tested thoroughly with paid apps*
– does not currently support system apps**
– due to the way I pull the app list from the package manager some installed apps may not show as available to add/remove
– apps installed first on a secondary user’s profile will probably not show in the list to add/remove
For paid applications, jeepguy04 believes that Google’s verification system will prevent multiple users with multiple Google accounts use paid apps. That said, we strongly suggest re-purchasing all apps that are to be shared across the accounts, even if the inherent verification system fails.
To learn more about the mod, go to the original thread.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to read some of our thoughts, then pick your side or play devil’s advocate to get your voice heard and engage in friendly discussion. You can read our food-for-thought or jump straight into the fray below! PLEASE NOTE THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT FUNCTIONALITY AND PRACTICALITY AND NOT ANY IMPLICATIONS. LET’S AIM FOR FRIENDLY DISCUSSION Tweaking Android is what a...
Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a million apps on the Google Play Store and new apps being submitted to our forums every day, staying up to date on the latest apps and games can be a hassle. At XDA, we don’t discriminate apps - if it’s interesting, innovative, original or useful, we mention them. The XDA Portal Team loves apps too, and we usually share and discuss the latest app releases...