Simplify Your Modifications with Backsmali/Smali Manager
Nearly everyone who peruses these forums has heard of XDA Recognized Developer JesusFreke‘s tool Smali/Baksmali. For the few who are still in the dark, the tool functions as an assembler and disassembler for the Dex files used by the Dalvik virtual machine on Android. Essentially, with this tool, one can disassemble code, modify it, and reassemble it upon completion. And for the extra curious out there, the names are derived from their Icelandic equivalents—fitting, given that Dalvik comes from the language as well.
While quite a few people are well versed with using Smali/Baksmali, others may find it more approachable with a menu-driven interface. Thankfully, this is where XDA Recognized Themer majdinj comes in. His tool allows users to use the original tool in a more streamlined / newbie-friendly way. And as one would hope for, setting up and using Majdinj’s tool for use is quite easy. The instructions, as stated by the developer:
Run Backsmali_tool.bat file, this will create all needed folders in the first run..
1. Put android apk or jar file in “put-file-here” folder. If Current-file status is set to None, then either you need to set a file in option #3 or you forget putting valid file in “put-file-here” folder.
2. When Current-file status is set to your file, you can disassemble its classes.dex by option #1.
3. Classout folder with name of file project will be created in “project” folder; make your changes there.
4. If finished your changes, assemble classout folder by option #2.
5. If everything is OK, a new file will be created in “finish” folder with tag (Modded_) in its name, just rename it to its original name and push it to your device; don’t forget to fix permissions as well.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!