Sony Cross-Device Development Pilot
Today we are very excited to announce a new pilot program that will go live in the next few days. Given the emergence and increasing popularity of One-Click-Tools and Toolboxes, many developers faced a problem: Where do I put my thread if the tool is compatible with multiple devices?
Until now, you had three possibilities where each one had its own flaws:
- General Android development (not many people search for Sony toolboxes in this forum → limited visibility)
- Just a single device development forum (again, limited visibility for all the other devices)
- One thread per supported device (Easily mistaken as spamming the forum and only possible in a few limited cases)
We hope to solve this issue with the introduction of a cross-device development forum. For now, this will only cover a few Sony devices. But if the pilot is successful, we plan on adding other OEMs as well. So here’s how it works:
- We have created a separate forum for Sony cross-device development projects
- Each of the supported devices received a new subforum, which is in fact just a link to that forum mentioned above. Example: Xperia Z
- If you are the developer of a cross-device tool, you can create a thread in the new forum or ask a moderator to move your existing thread there
Obviously this new forum has a very strict set of rules to keep it clean:
- Only development threads are allowed, and no random chatter, requests, OT, etc
- You are only allowed to post if your project is compatible with multiple devices (two or more, for example Xperia Z and ZL)
- Your thread needs to clearly show which devices it’s meant for, and this information needs to be very visible (if possible, place it in the title as well)
- If your development project is likely to generate a lot of device-specific chatter (like device specific bugs) and you don’t want to have all that in one thread, you might want to think about creating device-specific threads (contact your forum moderator and ask for advice)
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!