The popular Android-to-Windows Mobile porting project, XDANDROID, has recently added Froyo to the list of Android builds for which there is now a port available. Posting in the Touch Pro section, XDANDROID founder babijoee unveiled the alpha release of the new version, including download links and a separate thread for its testing and development. Although the build should work on the original Touch Pro and Diamond, it has not yet been confirmed whether or not it will function on other devices.
Due to its alpha state, the build is likely to be quite unstable and not everything works efficiently. babijoee released the build as soon as possible once the Froyo AOSP was made available to developers, with hopes that users can provide useful testing feedback with regard to Android 2.2.
If you want to give it a try, you can download the latest version of XDANDROID in the support thread. As babijoee explains, you’ll have to use some files from the latest Eclair release as a base for running Froyo.
For those of you who prefer to use Windows Mobile Titanium in your home screen, XDA member kenchan2009 created a very well designed theme in two color combinations: Grey/Green and Black/Blue.
Both themes work on resolutions WVGA, VGA, WQVGA, and QVGA for WM6.5 by simply installing the cab provided by developer. The developer has also revealed the source of the idea for these themes for anybody with the skills to add new color combinations to this collection.
Originally posted by kenchan2009
【theme】WM6.5 Themes “KenChan Gray Green” WVGA VGA WQVGA QVGA
CAB Installation #1
You can find more information on the themes thread.
To complement the current king of all projects, XDANDROID (the Android-for-Windows Mobile porting project that spans over many devices, including the Touch Pro, Diamond, X1 and HD), XDA member babijoee is asking for the community’s help in designing a boot animation and a selection of wallpapers to give the project more recognition.
There have already been several interesting entries to the contest, including several .gifs from XDA member lugiber. However, the project still needs new ideas for wallpapers in order to make it truly unique.
- Must contain the text “XDANDROID” (lowercase accepted)
- 640×480 dimensions
- 800×480 dimensions
- png, jpeg format
- Boot Animation
- 512×256 dimensions
- Contain text “XDANDROID” (lowercase accepted)
- 100 frames total
- png format
It’s quite likely that you’ve heard of the project if you have a recent Windows Mobile device. If babijoee likes your design, you will see it included in the next XDANDROID build along with four other contest winners’ entries.
If you think you have a good idea, why not drop in to the contest thread and see what everyone thinks.
Written back in 2009 by XDA forum member Moisisv, Shake and Save is a very useful application to capture screen shots of your Windows Mobile device.
Written for (but not limited to) the HTC Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch HD and Samsung Omnia, Shake and Save is a print screen program that makes use of the built-in accelerometer in your device.
Just select your preferred image format, shake your mobile and the application will save the current screen displayed on your device. Supported image formats include .png, .bmp, .gif and .jpeg. Shake and Save also supports multiple screen shots.
To download Shake and Save, and for more more information, visit the application thread.
Many of you have probably heard about MaxSense, another UI that completely redesigns the way you see your home screen. XDA member maxycy presents us with this nice looking UI, which has been unleashed for Chefs to cook it into their ROMs.
XDA chef NRGZ28, who is famous for his Energy ROM series, has launched ROMs with MaxSense cooked in them for many HTC devices such as Rhodium, Leo, and Blackstone, among others.
Are you tired of your home screen? Then, have a look at this fresh UI, which will unleash all the power of configuring and tweaking your Windows Mobile device home screen. On top of everything else, the UI can be changed to a wide selection of languages.
Originally posted by maxycy
If you are from outer space and wonders what MaxSense is all about, then please take some time to read through this.
This has taken a while longer than planned as I lack the free time that I used to have. Due to this, MaxSense will only be released in ROMs and there is no cab for it. This is to avoid answering questions all the time and give myself time to make further improvements. If you are a cook and intend to flash this to your ROM. Future updates will be posted here. The current version have some basic widgets but depending on the reception of this project, more things will be added.
What is MaxSense?
MaxSense is based on Manila/Sense 2.5. Unlike the original setup, MaxSense offers you total freedom to re-design your Home layout. All objects are now widget based and there are many customization options available to make your phone truly looks the way you want it. With full screen features and multiple screens, these allow you real estates to put things on the screen which were never possible. The UI design in such a way that it gives you access to the things you use frequently within a touch or scroll. I can go on forever but below summary of the features will bring to light what is there to offer.
Features of MaxSense
- Full Screen ( Wallpapers 960×800 )
- 3 Home Widget Screens ( Scroll left/right )
- 75 Quicklink accessible on all tabs
- Tab launcher screen accessible on all tabs
- Full Taskbar with dropdown features accessible on all tabs
- Widgets ( a lot of customization options and more to come )
- Clocks ( Analog, Digital, Slide )
- Alerts ( Calendar, Call History, Mail, SMS, Alert Display Panel )
- Quicklinks ( 3 additional program shortcut widgets )
- Communication ( Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode )
- Others ( Weather, Music Player, Favorite Contacts, Internet Search, Blank Panel )
- General Settings
- Weather Animation
- Taskbar ( Hidden/Maximized/Minimized )
- Text Color ( includes bottom arrow but exclude all widgets text which you can set individually )
For those of you wondering how you could change the boot screen on your devices, xda member Wajk just updated his nice looking boot screen packages. Among them, you can find Windows 7 style bootscreen animations as well as the old PC style to choose from.
You have the ability to enable or disable animations as well as sound, which is definitely a nice way to start up your device. Updated version 1.4 is tested working well on WVGA/VGA/QVGA resolutions.
Originally posted by Wajk
Boot anim with Windows 7 boot screen.
Only 160K! with sound only 550K!
IMPORTANT THINGS about the versions:
v1.4 – without sound, but if you need, download sound from here, thnx for prasangbc
v1.2 – with louder sound
v1.3 – with silently sound
Hint: possible, if some device haven’t got HTCAnimation.dll
if not working standard version:
first install nonHTC(WVGA) version,
and than install your resolution version. (nonHTC version has HTCAnimation.dll and some REG keys.)
- nonHTC version, but my testers report not working, i tried many things, added HTCAnimation.dll to Windows directory, and added many REG keys, but boot animation don’t work, sorry guys…
i uploaded nonHTC version, if anybody want play with it, but i write: NOT working. If anybody find solution, PLZ report me!
- faster animation for faster rom (example: WM6.5.x)
- no sound version, but if you need, download sound from here, thnx for prasangbc
- bigger Windows logo
You can find more information about this in the boot screen thread.
Although, this is not new, it is a very useful application that allows you to communicate with other Windows Mobile devices using your internal or external GPS unit with no Internet connection.
Developed by xda member_LEM_, CatchMe will let you find other devices to know their location.
This app can be automated to send an SMS to another device and retrieve the information of location. That information will be updated to your GPS program, if no signal is available, the app will continue trying until get´s signal to send the SMS.
Originally posted by _LEM_
Devices running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 for Pocket PC or Smartphones
Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 Download from here
This tool allows you to communicate mobile devices using your GPS and SMS messsages with no internet connection. You will be able to know how far is another phone/target and what direction you need to follow to reach it
Imagine the scenario… you are hiking with some friends in 2 different groups and later during that day you guys want to meet. How do you do that if you got a poor reception and you don’t have an internet connection?
This is what happened to me a few days ago. I got signal only for a few seconds and when I tried to make a phone call it was dropped after a while because the quality was very bad.
This program allows you to add targets. You can request the position of these targets by sending a sms message.
If your PDA cannot send the message it will keep retrying every minute.
Once the other end gets the message, CatchMe will start the GPS automatically, get a fix and send a message back to the person who made the request. Again, if there are problems sending the message CatchMe will keep trying until success.
After getting the position of the target, you can start tracking and CatchMe will tell you how far your target is and what direction you need to follow.
- You can only receive requests from phones that have been added to your list. If you get a request from an unknown phone, the message will be discarded.
- You can also associate your current position to a target. This is useful if you want to mark a checkpoint to come back later. No SMS messages are sent at this point.
- In order to use this with another person, both persons need to run this program!
- You don’t need to be tracking when using the program. You only need to do that when you are following a target.
- Auto Start and Stealth modes available
If you plan to test the program using only one phone, don’t click on ‘dismiss’ when getting your own SMS message until CatchMe has processed the message, otherwise the message will be deleted before the program can access to it.
How many times you have seen a member asking for a “how to” guide to change the language in a ROM?
This is a recurrent question amongst XDA new members. However, thanks to xda member kiliss, this is perfectly doable by simply following his comprehensive guide.
This normally works for all Windows Mobile devices: WM5, 6, 6.1, 6.5 and 6.5.x.
Based on this old method, this tutorial shows you the easy way to do it.
Originally posted by kiliss
I have I little technique to translate how rom I want
First select your Prefer, Stable, Pretty ROM….
Second, flash your phone whis it
And when all working, network is configure, soft was installing… , you can begin to Work
example for 28205 Roms:
- Open your *.nbh rom file with htc ROM Image Editor<== Click You can see all .mui file you need in your language
- You need to have all mui “file” (not module or package) for you wanting rom you can found here the OS file Camera.exe.040C.mui If you not do this, you haven’t see any word in the soft…
You can find more information in the tutorial thread.
If you are one of those users who are simply not satisfied with your media management application in your computer, then you have to take a look at Hydros Media Center. This application is an interesting alternative to Active Sync (or WMDC if you are on Vista or later) for managing your media files on your Windows Mobile device.
Despite still being on alpha stage, this app, which was created by xda member rkrishnan2012, has many options to play with. For instance, it presents us with a Zune 4.0 type of interface for easy flow between screens and ease of transfer files onto the device.
Originally posted by rkrishnan2012
For those of you who don’t know what im doing, im trying to make an efficient media player for windows which interacts with windows mobile nicely. As a model, im using many things and features which have been included in Zune Software 4.0. Anyway, I have been working on this alone for a long time and I think it’s time to reveal this to the public for some help as well. I would like to post the source code somewhere but im not sure exactly what the process is so please help me on that if you can.
Features so far:
- Music Library
- Pictures Library
- Apps Bazaar
- oms Bazaar (only for LG Incite so far -due to my lack of knoledge in xda roms-)
- Device Support [NEW for Alpha release 4] – you can add and remove songs now
- You can now delete files [New to Alpha release 4] – works now
Alpha Release 4 – 5/20/10
- Added the ability to add and remove songs in library and device library
- Fixed the comment dialog to show up (it notifies you of any things that are important…like a device being connected)
- Still uses activesync dll so you still need activesync to be installed (and I can’t distribute the dll due to legal issues).
You can find more information in the application thread.
Bored with your comm manger? Member XroM presents this interesting version of a communication management application.
This app is a great alternative to the Windows Mobile default Comm Manager that gives you all the original options plus the ability to switch off GPRS, restart manila and reset the device amongst other features.
This app is available in English and Russian.
Originally posted by XroM
A small app to switch a wireless devices with additional functions.
In resource you can customize the layout of buttons, background color and the name and font size.
The program supports the launch with the parameters (without displaying the main window).
For more information continue on to the application thread.
Windows Mobile users need more options to make their Windows Mobile experience even better, and with the new powerful devices this is increasing every day. One example of this is the ExtendedFileExplorerExt cab.
Member aestivalisakito has successfully combined FileExplorerExt 2.07 and ExplorerExt into one cab file, adding more options when displaying your file explorer. This app is presented to Developers to cook in their ROMs and also to end users.
Originally posted by aestivalisakito
- v 0.2
- Display a horizontal scroll bar, add features column replacement
- Anti-freeze – problems at the end
- Original Combo and testing, works great.
- None that I am aware of yet, please let me know if there are.
I am actually planning on making this a full UI mod eventually including tweaking for the abnormally large menus in wm 6.5
Want to say that this is merely the combination of two VERY excellent additions to file explorer for WM. Those are: FileExplorerExt 2.07 by Hou Ming and ExplorerExt by RAMMANN. So credit goes completely and totally to them.I just combined the two into a single cab. Package version for cooks is attached as well.
- You can select any folder to display the folder tree when you tap the folder name in the upper left.
- You make up the file list in the left and right keys.
- The parent folder and press the left top of the list of files.
- Choose the first non-press file on the top of the list of files and file focus state at the end →Select and change the focus state.
- Opens with the parameter (exe files only)
- Copy Path: Copy to clipboard full path names of selected files
- Send a shortcut to the program (exe file only) Shortcut to \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs Create
- Open program
- And more!
For more information and the full features list continue on to the application thread.
We have seen a lot of applications for Windows Mobile to make your shopping more easy, this app presented by member rublopez is another great option to organize your shopping cart using a very finger friendly UI, with an iphone like interface, a light app that runs well even on older devices. You must have .NET Compact Framework 2.0 or newer installed, it’s available in English and Spanish.
Originally posted by rublopez
I want to share this application that I have developed.
PocketShopping is a totally free shopping list software that allows you to maintain a master list of products you buy on a regular basis. The user interface is similar to iPhone applications, finger-friendly, smart scrolling, gestures and animation effects.
It requires .NET Compact Framework 2.0 or later.
Thanks to Thomas Gerber for his fluid control library.
Changes of v1.5
- Fixed some bugs.
- Language is configurable from the settings dialog. Now each language is loaded from an .ini file, and therefore it is easy to translate the application to another languages.
- Added possibility to set the price for each product. By clicking on a product, a panel is displayed which lets you to set both the quantity and the price of the product. A new status bar is displayed which shows the total price of the shopping list.
- Added configuration options to show the product description, the category description and the shop description.
I have attached the English language file (english_us.zip). If you want to translate the application to another language you can create it from this file.
The CAB file includes the following languages: English and Spanish.
Continue on to the application thread.
Most of you will agree that a nicely designed icon is always welcome. Member Lechux has updated his great icon collection thread, this new version is called firestorm, they have been inspired by Valkyrie’s Firestorm ROMs. The set has a great number of different icons to choose from, I for one would sure want to try all of them!
Originally posted by Lechux
I would like to present You a new series of icons for Your windows mobile devices They are dedicated for agent_47′s Valkyrie Firestorm ROMs.
For now there are 14 folders icons (4 styles) and 117 standard icons (2 styles). Stock folders icons are taken from deviantart, normal icon is made from scratch.
Since I’m using custom ROM I don’t have same shortcuts as other ROMs so just let me know what files are missing and leave your request for any icon you want! I will try to fill every request.
Please also leave some feedback guys Over 3000 downloads (in about 2 months) of one of the packs and only 140 replies.
Continue on to the icon thread for more information.