Tool Gives Xperia Arc Users Ability to Unpack/Repack and Modify Image Files
Sometimes development can be fueled by nothing more than a well made tool or tutorial that gets people started. In most cases, it’s some sort of kitchen that takes some of the hard parts of making a ROM and turns it into a simple menu option. In other cases, it’s a 10 minute tutorial showing users what’s what and how to do things.
The pre-requisites are relatively simple to understand, and include:
1. Linux (any form will do, for example virtual box etc)
2. Perl (already included in Ubuntu, me thinks)
3. The Xperia Boot Tools package attached in this post
4. The mkbootimg binary (I already compiled it for Linux x86 and included it in the attachment)
5. Reading this post VERY VERY VERY carefully
From there, it’s a bunch of terminal commands that do the work for you. However, as long as you’re attentive and careful then you shouldn’t run into too many problems. And, as always, make sure you make a complete backup of your device before attempting to flash your work, just in case you skipped a step somewhere.
For those budding developers who want to give this process a try, you can check out the full tutorial in the original thread where you can also find discussions and additional information. Being ever so humble, iridaki has also said that if you manage to find any mistakes then you should post them in the thread so corrections can be made.