Although, this is not new, it is a very useful application that allows you to communicate with other Windows Mobile devices using your internal or external GPS unit with no Internet connection.
Developed by xda member_LEM_, CatchMe will let you find other devices to know their location.
This app can be automated to send an SMS to another device and retrieve the information of location. That information will be updated to your GPS program, if no signal is available, the app will continue trying until get´s signal to send the SMS.
Originally posted by _LEM_
Devices running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 for Pocket PC or Smartphones
Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 Download from here
This tool allows you to communicate mobile devices using your GPS and SMS messsages with no internet connection. You will be able to know how far is another phone/target and what direction you need to follow to reach it
Imagine the scenario… you are hiking with some friends in 2 different groups and later during that day you guys want to meet. How do you do that if you got a poor reception and you don’t have an internet connection?
This is what happened to me a few days ago. I got signal only for a few seconds and when I tried to make a phone call it was dropped after a while because the quality was very bad.
This program allows you to add targets. You can request the position of these targets by sending a sms message.
If your PDA cannot send the message it will keep retrying every minute.
Once the other end gets the message, CatchMe will start the GPS automatically, get a fix and send a message back to the person who made the request. Again, if there are problems sending the message CatchMe will keep trying until success.
After getting the position of the target, you can start tracking and CatchMe will tell you how far your target is and what direction you need to follow.
- You can only receive requests from phones that have been added to your list. If you get a request from an unknown phone, the message will be discarded.
- You can also associate your current position to a target. This is useful if you want to mark a checkpoint to come back later. No SMS messages are sent at this point.
- In order to use this with another person, both persons need to run this program!
- You don’t need to be tracking when using the program. You only need to do that when you are following a target.
- Auto Start and Stealth modes available
If you plan to test the program using only one phone, don’t click on ‘dismiss’ when getting your own SMS message until CatchMe has processed the message, otherwise the message will be deleted before the program can access to it.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip! -- Join us for xda:devcon 2014!