Ever since custom recoveries and roms became popular, nandroid backups have been the fall back method for all android enthusiasts, irrespective of their confidence levels. They allow easy backup and restore in case things go wrong, which happens invariably when a modification is being tested. With that being said, how relevant are Nandroid Backups to this day? Back in 2011, when the world of Android was being awed by the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2, a little modification made its appearance...
Windows Phone 7 – Mango Unveiled Today
A few days ago, XDA member dotcompt posted about the upcoming Mango update. Well, we have been following the news today and now we know that it will bring 500 new features and that it will be available this Fall.
This is what you can expect from it:
- Windows Phone Start screen showcasing improved Live Tiles. Users can now get real-time information from apps without having to open them – making them more dynamic and able to hold more information.
- Threads offer the ability to switch between text, Facebook chat, and Windows Live Messenger within the same conversation.
- Internet Explorer 9 on Windows Phone includes support for HTML5 and full hardware acceleration. IE9 also allows you to quickly and easily share web pages with social networks directly from the browser.
- Groups allows users to group contacts into personalized Live Tiles to see the latest status updates and quickly send a text, email, or IM to the entire group.
- Multitasking with Windows Phone allows users to quickly switch between apps in use while preserving battery life and performance.
- Get hyper-local search results and recommendations on restaurants, shopping, and activities around you through Local Scout. Once you’ve decided on an activity, App Connect allows apps to be surfaced when and where they make sense, so you can book those dinner reservations or purchase those movie tickets directly from your Windows Phone.
- App Connect. See apps in search results and hubs such as Music + Videos and Pictures. App Connect works with Marketplace, so results include both apps already on your phone and new apps to download.
- Quick Cards (Quick Cards): When searching for a product, a movie, an event, or a place, this offers a summary and relevant applications.
- Photo Tagging: A new facial detection software that makes easy tagging your photos or posting them on the internet.
On the Mango presentation it was also pointed out that communications will also be smoother. It will be easier to connect and share stuff, which will lead to a deeper social network integration and a smarter approach to apps.
Stay tuned and be on the lookout for Mango coming to your devices.
Please leave your comments.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
While HTC's latest flagship brings many new features, the aesthetic design of the device remains largely untouched in comparison to its predecessor. Many Android enthusiasts throughout the community were expecting a large redesign of one of the most beautiful handsets ever released, but what we got is something more along the lines of an 'HTC One M8S". So this begs the question, is the M9 worth the upgrade if you already own the M8? Current HTC One M8 users chime in and let us know your thoughts.
At the annual Game Developers Conference being held in San Francisco, NVIDIA announced the latest addition to its collection of devices, the NVIDIA SHIELD. Powered by the Tegra X1 ARM SoC, the SHIELD is a set-top box running Android TV at its heart. But since it is a NVIDIA device, it does things beyond the simple streaming and gaming that is expected in this age. The SHIELD can locally run and stream 4K content to a capable TV. It is compatible with existing...