There are tons of choices to choose from when looking for a great alarm app for Android. While the stock Clock app for AOSP does the job, it may lack some of the more advanced features from competitors. Let us know what your favorite alarm clock app is for Android and why.
XDA Partners with Pebble for Developer Challenge
Can you #MakeAwesomeHappen? Your app idea could win a Pebble and a trip to our 2nd Annual Developer Retreat in Mountain View, CA!
For those who haven’t kept up with the wearables market over the last year or so, you may not be aware of Pebble. Pebble is the smartwatch that 68,000+ people brought to life, crowdfunding a record $10.3MM on Kickstarter, and put wearable technology on the map. With a vibrant developer community and thriving ecosystem, Pebble is the platform for the best and brightest wearable apps. Pebble SDK 2 invites developers to build unique, delightful, and practical apps that push the boundaries of what smartwatches can do.
The XDA – Pebble Developer Challenge is a 3-week competition – your opportunity to pitch your proposal for the best Pebble app and bring it to life with a Pebble of your own. We’ll be awarding Pebbles to the 20 best app proposals in order to give even first time developers a chance to work on our platform. Of the 20 proposals that we select, the best 3 Pebble apps created will be invited to attend the 2014 Pebble Developer Retreat in October and we’ll give them each a Pebble Steel.
Here’s how the competition is going to go:
Round 1 (July 21 – August 15, 2014):
- Developers around the world are invited to submit a proposal for an app they want to build with Pebble’s SDK 2 before August 1, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time).
- A panel of judges from both XDA and Pebble will select 20 Finalists, based on the proposals’ innovation and originality.
- The 20 Finalists will each receive one Pebble smartwatch to develop their apps on.
Round 2 (August 15 – September 12, 2014):
- Finalists have 3 weeks to develop their apps and submit them before September 5, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time) for Grand Prize consideration.
- A panel of judges from both XDA and Pebble will select 2 Grand Prize winners.
- Via an open voting system, the public will vote for its favorite app among the 20 Finalists and select the Popular Choice Grand Prize winner.
- All 3 Grand Prize winners will receive an exclusive, all-expenses-paid invitation to Pebble’s 2014 Developer Retreat, one Pebble Steel, and promotional support for their winning apps.
Grand prize and Popular Choice award winners will be announced on September 12th, 2014.
App Idea Finalists (20)- Pebble Smartwatch
Grand Prize Winners (3)
-Pebble Steel Smartwatch
-Pebble Developer Retreat 2014 invitation with all expenses paid
- Challenge Idea Submission Period: July 21, 2014 (10:00am Pacific Time) – August 1, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- Idea Selection Period: August 4, 2014 (10:00am Pacific Time) – August 7, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- Idea Selection will be done by Pebble and XDA.
- Pebble Shipment Date: August 8, 2014
- Challenge Development Period: August 15, 2014 (10:00am Pacific Time) – September 5, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- App Submission Date: on or before September 5, 2014 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- Finalist Voting Period: September 8, 2014 (10:00am Pacific Time) – September 12, 2014 (1:00pm Pacific Time)
- Public Finalist Voting will take place on the XDA Website and will be open only to registered XDA users.
- XDA will choose 1 grand finalist winner and Pebble will choose 1 grand finalist winner.
- All Winners Announced: On or around September 12, 2014 (2:00pm Pacific Time)
Terms & Conditions
- Only one entry per person may be accepted, and excess entries will be disqualified.
- You must be a member in good standing, with no history of bans and/or serious infractions
- You must post your app as open source using a suitable git source hosting site
- Source should replicate what is built and submitted
- Upon finished product, full source code, with full commit history, is required to be submitted in order to be considered
- You must be able to pay any and all customs fees associated with receiving the Pebble
- You must be able and willing to keep your contest thread updated
- XDA reserves the right to disqualify an entry for any extenuating circumstances
- If selected in the first phase, the developer must open a Pebble developer account and use the Pebble SDK to build their app.
- All types of apps are authorized (watchfaces, watchapps, companion apps)
- The app can be Pebble only, Pebble+Android or Pebble+Android+iOS
- Developers must submit their app to the Pebble app store to be a valid entry in the last phase of the competition
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
Did you watch Apple's VP draw on his wrist during the Apple Watch announcement and wonder "why can't my Wear watch do that?" In typical XDA fashion, one enterprising forum member has brought similar functionality to Android Wear with a twist; it works on phones and watches alike, with other platforms on the way! The app is called Pinsy, and its release debut is a strong proof of concept with plenty of room to grow. You may remember the developer behind this project, XDA...
Wear is said to not offer enough for mass adoption, even though its been in the market for over 9 months. I personally have a Gear Live which I purchased 8 months ago, and my experience with it has had its ups and downs throughout my time with it. For the longest time, I was not able to recommend the platform to anyone. Since then, a lot of updates have hit Wear watches, some improving battery life, others changing the...