XDA Site Roadmap
Many months ago we shared with the community a “State of the Site” letter. In the same vein, today we present our site development roadmap as it exists today. Nearly all of the initiatives below relate to improving site speed, reliability, efficiency, or usability, which will in turn assist in keeping XDA the best place for ground-breaking development on mobile devices. Though we are a very small team (in terms of devs and admins dedicated to the technical aspect of maintaining XDA), we are working hard.
The publication of this roadmap is as much for us as it is for you. Our goal is to stay focused on one or two projects until they are near perfection–and then move on to the next. Hopefully this will keep us organized and on-task.
1. New reported post system to make reporting posts more intuitive for users. Hopefully this will speed moderator response time for actioning on user concerns.
2. Implementation of a new search server with better IO performance. Implementation of Sphinx search. Both of these should dramatically improve search performance, which has a major impact on general site speed.
3. Implementation of English URLs (no more “/showthread.php?t=68435181684″) so that we can offload some forum-specific search queries to Google search. This will also greatly improve users’ ability to reference forums and threads.
4. A ROM system for developers that will help us keep track of all ROMs in a database, complete with ratings, categorization, and more.
5. A complete site redesign (portal and forum) focused on improving site speed.
6. Better organization and categorization of information on the portal.
7. A drastically simplified forum home page.
8. Customizable pages– to display device information, forum listings, thread notifications, PMs, etc. on a fast and useful user homepage (think iGoogle)
As mentioned, this is our roadmap “as it exists today”; certainly, we’ll adjust the roadmap if needed.
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any comments/questions/ideas.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!