It's not often I look at a product or service and say "I really really hope this isn't real, and it's an elaborate fake". Alas, this day has come. It's time for a look at something which cropped up on my radar today, namely a service called FileThis. I won't do them the search-engine-ranking honor of providing a direct link to their site, but a quick search will find them, and their app on the Play Store and iTunes store....
XDA Will Be at the Big Android BBQ–Will You?
You have a chance to rub elbows with some of the more prominent members of the Android community. The Big Android BBQ is the place. At the Big Android BBQ, you can expect to see Recognized Developers, Forum Members, and XDA-Developer TV Producers who you’ve grown to know and love for their personalities and knowledge. XDA-Developers, being the largest Android development community in the world, will be contributing to the festivities in several ways:
- Conferences: XDA-Developers will be hosting a few select conferences covering what we do best here at XDA.
- Android Development Discussion: Elite Recognized Developers Supercurio (Project Voodoo) and Entropy512 (CyanogenMod Device Maintainer and kernel developer) will be speaking on their upcoming projects, along with other well known Recognized Developers like Fransisco Franco (Multi-deveice kernel developer), Agrabren (Cyanogenmod maintainer) , and Decad3nce (Device Developer).
- XDA Discussion: Find out the latest about XDA as Jerdog, NotATreoFan and M_T_M speak about the future of XDA-Developers and its relations with device manufacturers.
- Exploits, Vulnerabilities, and Closed Source: Find all about the greatest grey-hat hacks of this year and how you can use them, hosted by AdamOutler and Jordan Keyes.
- Contests: Win free stuff from XDA-Developers. We’re talking about Nexus Development devices here.
- Swag: While supplies last, we have over 100 official XDA shirts and 1,000 reprogrammable XDA NFC Keychains.
- Community: We will have our own table at the event. Stop by and say hi to Developers, Senior Moderators, XDA-Developer TV Producers, News Writers, and more. Make sure to sign the XDA banner with your username while you’re there. We’re going to try to get a spot near the beer!
According to the Big Android BBQ staff, there will be representatives and sponsors from the following manufacturers: Sony, Samsung, HTC, Seidio, Adobe, Texas Instruments, Cruzerlite, Slingbox, and many more. This will be your chance to make small talk and connections with those guys. Last year, we were able to preview the Samsung Galaxy Beam, the first phone with a wall-projector, several months before release.
And of course, that’s not all. There will be a CyanogenMod Q&A Session, Andrew Bell figurine contest and autographs, a session on smart watches, a constant stream of giveaways and SWAG, a Saturday night bar crawl, and the Sunday evening Big Android BBQ party. These are just some of the events planned. Make sure you run out and get your ticket immediately. Sales end soon.
Want to get in on a ticket at a discounted rate? Click here for a 10% discount.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a tip!
More and more smartphone manufacturers have been moving towards on-screen buttons, with Google really pushing for it over the physical button alternative. However, there are still a few OEMs (we're looking at you, Samsung) that have preferred to keep things a bit more traditional. Tell us which way you prefer and why.
While there are frequent unexplained changes and pushes to Google's AOSP repositories, an interesting-looking new branch has been pushed out recently, called "master-soong". Taking a look at the changes made to the manifest repository (which is used to specify the repositories to be downloaded when building Android), it appears there are some new repositories making an appearance. Of note here are new prebuilt repositories for Go, and Ninja. Go is a programming language, created by Google, which compiles to produce...