Android 10 rolling out for the Nokia 8.1 with September 2019 security patch
When it comes to Android updates, HMD Global is one of the few manufacturers that delivers timely updates for its current generation of smartphones. In keeping with the trend, the company has been pushing regular Android 10 beta updates for the Snapdragon 710-powered Nokia 8.1. After ironing out all the issues in the beta channel, the company is now pushing the stable Android 10 update for the device.
HMD Global’s Chief Product Officer Juho Sarvikas, recently took to Twitter to announce the rollout. In his tweet, Sarvikas highlighted that the Nokia 8.1 is the first Snapdragon 710 powered smartphone to receive the Android 10 update. Along with the Android version upgrade, the update also packs in the Android security patch for September 2019.
Android 10 upgrade for Nokia 8.1 starts today! First on SD710 to bring new features such as Dark theme, Gesture Navigation and more. Staying the course to be the first across the portfolio! Nokia phones #Keepgettingbetter #nokiamobile pic.twitter.com/U9g1jZHtA6
— Juho Sarvikas (@sarvikas) October 9, 2019
A press release shared by the company further highlights everything new in the Android 10 update:
- Gesture navigation: control of your Nokia smartphone just got slicker, with faster and more intuitive controls at the tip of your fingers
- Smart Reply: receive even smarter responses in messages, not just wording but actions you can take
- Privacy Controls: have even more control of your personal data in one place, and control when your location is shared with your apps – be that always, just while in use, or never
- Focus mode: block out distracting apps when you need to concentrate on what’s important
- Family Link: now part of the Digital Wellbeing settings, helping parents set digital ground rules for the whole family.
Other than the new Focus mode, all of the aforementioned features are available in the latest stable update. The company highlights that users can try out the Focus mode in the last beta, however, it doesn’t reveal when the mode will hit the stable channel. The software update has already started rolling out to Nokia 8.1 users in India and if you haven’t received the update yet, you should receive it sometime in the next few days.