Android 11 Beta 2.5 fixes Pixel 4 screen flickering and more
Earlier this month, Google released Android 11 Beta 2, the Platform Stability release. Like they did with the first beta, Google is now releasing a minor update to address some issues before the next main release. Android 11 Beta 2.5 brings some important fixes for the Pixel 4 and other Pixel devices.
Android 11 Beta 2.5 Release Notes:
- Fixed issues that prevented a user from hearing or recording audio in apps after they made a VoIP call.
- The notification drawer no longer fails to appear sometimes when a user swipes down from the top of the screen. (Issue #159768228)
- The screen no longer flickers on some devices when the screen is set to a low brightness level. (Issue #156051413)
- Fixed various issues that could cause devices to reboot intermittently. (Issue #159888167)
- The navigation bar no longer appears in cases when it wouldn’t normally display, such as during a device restart. (Issue #159592365)
- Some Pixel 4/XL devices that have taken more than one Android 11 update are no longer blocked from receiving an OTA back to Android 10. (Issue #158765677)
- Video recording is no longer interrupted sometimes when using the Camera app. (Issue #159185509)
- The Dialer app no longer uses the speakerphone sometimes as the default audio device. (Issue #159203518)
- In the Messages app, the RCS chat features no longer get stuck sometimes in the Connecting state. (Issue #159786769)
Some Pixel 4 users were noticing screen flickering on Android 11 Beta 2 when the screen was at low-brightness levels. This happened because of the refresh rate switching between 60 and 90Hz, which are two different screen modes with their own gamma calibrations. There was also a bug that prevented RCS chat from connecting. One of the most annoying bugs was video recording randomly stopping. All of these issues, and more, have been addressed. If you ever wonder about using the beta releases as your daily driver, let these minor updates be a sign that they are indeed beta releases.