Android 6.0 Coming October 5th? OxygenOS 2.1.0 for OnePlus 2 OTA, Unlocking Moto X Pure Voids Warranty! – XDA TV
It’s Friday, September 25, 2015, and let’s talk about what happened this week over at XDA-developers.com.
Before I get started, I just wanted to mention that I’ve teamed up with TK from XDA and several other YouTubers, and we’re doing a giveaway. You can find a link down in the description to the video on my channel, but we’re giving away 3 phones and 2 media players, so you should definitely check it out.
Anyway, LOTS to talk about, so let’s get to it! First up, according to a software update schedule from Canadian wireless carrier TELUS, they believe Android 6.0 Marshmallow will start rolling out October 5th, which is just over a week from now. Obviously that’s nothing official, but still, nice to know that it might be sooner than we’d hoped.
Meizu unveiled their newest device, the Pro 5, with a 5.7″ 1080p display, USB Type-C and either 3 gigs of RAM and 32 gigs of storage for about $440 US, or 4 gigs of RAM and 64 gigs of storage for about $485 US.
Xiaomi launched the Mi 4c with the Snapdragon 808, 5″ 1080p display, USB Type-C, and a 3080 milliamp-hour battery starting at just about $205 US for the 2 gig model, and $235 US for the 3 gig model.
LG announced the “Class” phone with a 5″ 1080p display, Snapdragon 410 chip, 2 gigs of RAM and a 2050 milliamp-hour battery, but a 13 megapixel rear facing camera and an 8 megapixel front facing camera… for the equivalent of about $335 US. That one’s a bit confusing. Sounds kinda like the LG Leon I’ve been testing, but with a halfway decent camera. They also announced the LG G Pad II 10.1, but only in South Korea for now. It’s got the Snapdragon 800, 2 gigs of RAM, 32 gigs of storage and a 7400 milliamp-hour battery, and should also be releasing in the US before the end of September.
Omate announced a new smartwatch, the Truesmart+, which runs full Android 5.1 Lollipop out of the box, comes with a sim card slot, a 1.54″ 320 by 320 LCD, a MediaTek MT6572 chip, 1 gig of RAM and 8 gigs of storage with a 700 milliamp-hour battery, all for just $169. I’ve heard mixed opinions about the first generation Omate watch, especially when it comes to development for it, but if you liked that one, this one might be interesting.
Google is continuing to expand Android One, this time to Spain and Portugal with the BQ Aquaris A4.5, and into the UAE with the Infinix Hot 2, so be on the lookout if you’re in either of those locations.
The biggest thing in this update is that they’ve added manual mode to the camera, which I’ve been missing since I swapped over from the LG G4. I’ve been mashing the “update now” button ever since I read about it, but, unfortunately, no update for me yet. Speaking of the OnePlus 2, there’s now an official build of TWRP for it, which should be handy.
“In some good news, OnePlus has started rolling out Oxygen OS version 2.1.0 to the OnePlus 2 over the air. ”
Heisenberg put out a guide showing you how to unlock, root, and flash custom ROMs to the Moto X Style or Pure.
XDA Senior Member Squid2 released an unofficial build of CM 12.1 for the Moto X Play, with the only real issues affecting the GPS.
And speaking of the Moto X, Motorola has made it very clear that the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition is not intended to be a developer device, so if you unlock the bootloader on it, it voids your warranty. They say if there’s a physical issue that’s clearly not related to unlocking, that’ll still be covered, but otherwise your warranty will be null and void, so keep that in mind if you’re thinking of picking that device up.
Speaking of bootloaders, an engineering bootloader for the European Galaxy S6 G920F has been made available by XDA Senior Member UltraGamerHD. Previous bootloaders like this have made it possible to root the Galaxy S6 without actually tripping off Knox, so if you’ve got that device, you might want to check out his thread.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 has received a port of AOSP 5.0.2, and while there are some bugs in it, it still might be worth a shot if you’d like to get some stock Android on that device.
XDA Recognized Contributor Dr.Ketan put out an easy to follow guide showing you how to root the Note 5.
XDA Member SlowSunset put out a guide going through the bootloader unlocking method for the Meizu MX4 and the Meizu M1 Note.
CyanogenMod has announced that they’re adding support for a bunch of new mostly mid-range devices, so head on over to their site to see if your device has been added or not if you’d like.
And in some XDA-specific news, starting this week XDA has teamed up with the Android Sub-Reddit to put out a podcast. That’s available here if you’d like to check it out. It was also announced that XDA is going to be sponsoring the Big Android BBQ, and I believe TK is going to be heading there on behalf of XDA TV, so be on the lookout for him.
A TON of new forums were added, and honestly, I’m not going to read them all off, but to hit some high points, the Nexus 5X and 6P, several Samsung devices, the Xiaomi Mi 4c, and the new Amazon tablets all have forums.
And in addition to the podcast video, I did a video reviewing a speaker from Mpow and announcing a giveaway for 5 of those, so you should go check out that video if you’re interested in winning a speaker.
But you know what? That’s going to be about all from me for today. You can find the links to all the stories I talked about in the video description, as well as the links to my YouTube channels. Remember if you liked this video to leave a like down below and subscribe to receive our content as soon as it becomes available. Thanks for watching, and I’ll see you next time.
Be sure to check out other great XDA TV Videos.
- The End of Summer Giveaway!
- TELUS Says Android 6.0 OTA Update Starts on October 5th
- Meizu Launches 5.7-Inch Meizu Pro 5
- Xiaomi Launches Mi 4c In China
- LG Officially Announces the LG Class Smartphone
- LG Launches the LG G Pad II 10.1 in South Korea, US Release Incoming
- The Omate TrueSmart+ Smartwatch Runs Full Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Google Expands Android One to Spain & Portugal with the Aquaris A4.5
- Android One Expands to UAE With Infinix Hot 2
- OxygenOS 2.1.0 for OnePlus 2 Rolling Out Via OTA!
- Official TWRP Support Comes to the OnePlus 2
- Unlock, Root & Flash Guide For Moto X Style (Pure)
- Unofficial CyanogenMod 12.1 For Moto X Play
- Unlocking the Bootloader of the 2015 Moto X Pure Voids the Warranty
- Engineering Bootloader Available For Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F Variant
- Redmi Note 2 Gets AOSP 5.0.2 Community Port
- Beginner-level Guide on Rooting the Galaxy Note 5
- Unlock Bootloader of Meizu MX4 and Meizu M1 Note
- CM Announces Newly Supported Devices for Xiaomi, Motorola, Huawei and More
- XDA Partners With Sub-Reddit r/Android For Podcast!
- Join us at The Big Android BBQ 2015
- Asus FonePad 7 & Fuhu Nabi 2 Forums Now Available!
- Nexus 5X Forums Officially Available!
- Nexus 6P Forums Have Arrived!
- XDA Forums Now Available for Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2 & 551 Callisto
- XDA Forums Now Available For Samsung Galaxy Music & ZTE Grand X V970
- Xiaomi Mi 4c Forums Now Live!
- XDA Forums Available For Gionee M2 And XOLO A500S
- Amazon Fire HD8, HD10 and Fire Forums Added!
- Mpow Armor Bluetooth Speaker Review and Giveaway! (5 Prizes!) – XDA TV