Android 8.0 Oreo now on 10% of devices as Play Store’s new requirements approach

Android 8.0 Oreo now on 10% of devices as Play Store’s new requirements approach

The Android platform distribution numbers were last updated by Google back in May. At that time, Android 8.0 Oreo had gained 5.7% market share, with Android Nougat having 31.1%. Google did not update the distribution statistics in June, but now, after two months, the company has revealed the Android platform distribution numbers for the month of July 2018.

The data for the July 2018 distribution statistics was collected in a seven-day period ending on July 23, 2018. Google doesn’t show any versions with less than 0.1% distribution. The data collected is on the basis of devices visiting the Google Play Store in the prior seven days.

The July 2018 distribution numbers show that Android 8.0 is now installed on 10.1% of Android devices worldwide. The newer Android 8.1 Oreo is experiencing much slower adoption as it’s installed on just 2.0% percent of Android devices. The combined adoption of Android Oreo is 12.1%, which is slightly higher than Android Nougat’s adoption a year ago.

Android Nougat still remains the most widely used version of Android, however, with a combined market share of 30.8%. Android Marshmallow is next with 23.5% distribution. Android Lollipop has 20.4% combined distribution, which makes it more widely used than Android Oreo. After that we have Android KitKat with 9.1% distribution, while the combined versions of Android Jelly Bean have 3.6% distribution. Incredibly, Android Gingerbread and Android Ice Cream Sandwich still survive with 0.2% and 0.3% distribution respectively.

Android VersionJuly 2018
Android 2.3 Gingerbread0.2%
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich0.3%
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean1.2%
Android 4.2 Jelly Bean1.9%
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean0.5%
Android 4.4 KitKat9.1%
Android 5.0 Lollipop4.2%
Android 5.1 Lollipop16.2%
Android 6.0 Marshmallow23.5%
Android 7.0 Nougat21.2%
Android 7.1 Nougat9.6%
Android 8.0 Oreo10.1%
Android 8.1 Oreo2.0%

Android 8.0 passing 10% distribution is an important milestone because of the new Google Play Store requirements. Starting August 2018, all new apps submitted to the Play Store must target API level 26 (Android 8.0 Oreo). Starting November 2018, all app updates must also target API level 26. More details can be read in the linked article.

Although it’s disappointing to see Android Oreo having a slow uptake, it should be noted that previous versions of Android also took a long time to become popular. Android Oreo brought Project Treble, but unfortunately, the benefits of Project Treble with respect to updates will only be seen when Android P is released.

Source: Android Developers

About author

Idrees Patel
Idrees Patel

Idrees Patel is a smartphone enthusiast from India. He has been an Android user since the time he got the LG Optimus One in 2011. He has a bachelor's degree in Management Studies. The subjects in which he is interested are mobile processors, real-world UI performance, in-depth camera quality analysis, and many more. Contact him at [email protected]