Android P Beta 3 is here for Google Pixel/Pixel XL & Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL
Google’s developer preview program continues as the company releases yet another beta build, Android P Beta 3 (Developer Preview 4). Today, the third beta version is available for download for the Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 2 XL.
The first preview version was released in March, which brought an almost complete redesign of the user interface. A month later the first beta version (Developer Preview 2) dropped, featuring gesture navigation and a new adaptive brightness and battery management enhanced by machine learning. It was then followed by the second beta version (Developer Preview 3), which brought features like an improved brightness slider, ‘Clear all’ button in recents menu, tweaks to gesture navigation and many more.
Android P Beta 3 Release Notes Summary
API level 28 Date: July 2018 Build: PPP4.180612.004 (See supported Android P Beta devices) Emulator support: x86 & ARM (32/64-bit) Security patch level: July 2018 Google Play services: 12.4.46
Keep in mind that this update is the “release candidate for testing”, so it includes the final APIs and near-final system images for development and testing. Google always recommends updating to the latest preview version for testing purposes. Besides the Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 2 XL, this update may become available for the following devices depending on how soon the OEM rolls them out:
- Essential Phone
- Nokia 6.1
- Nokia 7
- Nokia 7 Plus
- Nokia 8 Sirocco
- OnePlus 6
- Oppo R15 Pro
- Sony Xperia XZ2
- Vivo X21UD
- Vivo X21
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Download Android P Beta 3 (Developer Preview 4) on the Google Pixel & Pixel 2
As always, OTA and Factory Images of the update are already available for Pixel devices. You can also sign up for the Android Beta program to receive the over-the-air update. Be sure to follow XDA for the coming days as we’ll definitely break down every single new thing that this update features like we did for Android P Beta 2, the Android P Beta 1, and Android P Developer Preview 1.
How to Install Android P Beta 3 on the Google Pixel & Pixel 2
OTA Image Instructions
- Download the OTA image for your device
- Move it to the internal storage of your device
- Make sure you’ve set up ADB if you haven’t already
- Reboot to recovery with the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- Select the option “Apply update from ADB”
- Sideload the OTA with the following command:
adb sideload <OTA_image.zip>
Factory Image Instructions
- Download the factory image for your device
- Extract the factory image zip on your PC
- Run the flash-all.bat if you’re on Windows or flash-all.sh if you’re on Mac/Linux. This will wipe all data on your device! If you want to flash the update without losing any data, please follow these instructions instead.