Latest Android Platform Stats: Lollipop under 0.1%, KitKat on a Third of Devices

Latest Android Platform Stats: Lollipop under 0.1%, KitKat on a Third of Devices

We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links.

In the last few weeks, numerous devices received Lollipop updates both in official and unofficial capacity. Despite its popularity here on XDA, Lollipop is still a very new operating system and OEMs need some time to port it to their devices. As we typically see at the start of every month, Google has released their latest Android platform statistics showing OS and hardware fragmentation on the platform.

1Last month, we saw Android 2.x (Gingerbread and Froyo) finally fall under 10% install base. The number of 2.x users is still decreasing, and now comes in at 9.6% of active users connected to Google Play during the last week. Ice Cream Sandwich also dropped a bit in popularity, and it sits now at just 7.8% of devices.

Jelly Bean is still the most popular OS when we take all three revisions, with nearly half of all Android devices. However, Jelly Bean’s number is coming down a tad, as KitKat is growing. Now, over one third of all devices connected to Play Store are running Android 4.4, or 3% more than last month. Various OEMs tried to update their handsets to 4.4 before the official Lollipop release, and it’s safe to assume that a large number of Mediatek-powered phones will continue to get their updates to Android 4.4. Unfortunately, and as one would expect from such a new OS, Android 5.0 Lollipop has not even made the board, meaning that it is installed on under 0.1% of all devices. It appears that Android 5.0 needs a few months to strengthen its position in the Android Developer Dashboard.

Google also shared stats regarding the screen density of the devices as well as their OpenGL support. Small devices (ldpi) are slowly disappearing from the market. Their share decreased from 6.3% to 5.9%. Devices with hdpi, xhdpi and xxhdpi screens are at a similar level as one month ago. The number of OpenGL ES 2.0 users is still high just over 72% of devices, leaving just under 28% on the newer OpenGL ES 3.0.


All of this serves to show that while OS and hardware fragmentation remains a consideration on the Android platform, its effects are lessening. This is likely due to Google’s approach of giving OEMs the Android source code prior to release, so hopefully we should begin seeing rapid increases of Lollipop adoption in the next 3 or 4 months.

[Source: Android Developer Dashboard]