Apple introduces macOS 11.3 with big M1 improvements
Apple on Monday released macOS 11.3, a new update that comes with a laundry list of changes. One of the biggest changes improves how iPhone and iPad apps perform on Mac models equipped with the M1 chip.
According to Apple, Macs that feature the company’s M1 chip now feature the option to change an iPhone and iPad app’s window size. There’s also support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen. Speaking of the M1 chip, macOS 11.3 also introduces hibernation support.
Meanwhile, the update also introduces changes to Apple Music, Podcasts, News, and Safari, the latter of which now allow users to customize the Start Page section order. On the Apple Music front, autoplay will keep music playing by automatically playing a similar song, once you’ve reached the end of a song or playlist.
Similar to iOS 14.5, Apple has also introduced more diverse voice options for Siri. Apple has also shown some love to Reminders in macOS 11.3, with a new option to print your reminder lists. There’s also support for several new emoji, along with changes to the Find My app that will display AirTags, which will be available this Friday.
In addition to several new features, Apple is making some important fixes in macOS 11.3. Apple said it fixed an issue where AirPods audio would route to the incorrect device with Automatic Switching. It also fixed an issue where external 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C.
macOS 11.3 changelog
macOS Big Sur 11.3 adds support for AirTag, includes iPhone and iPad app improvements for Macs with M1, introduces separate skin tone variations for emoji with couples, and adds more diverse voice options for Siri.
AirTag and Find My
- Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
- The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn’t nearby
- Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
- Option to change an iPhone and iPad app’s window size
- Support for displaying the highest resolution version of an iPhone or iPad app in full screen
- Keyboard support for iPhone and iPad games designed to use device tilt
- Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games that support game controllers
- Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
- New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
- Siri now includes more diverse voice options
- Autoplay keeps music playing by automatically playing a similar song, once you’ve reached the end of a song or playlist
- City charts showcase what’s popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
- Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
- Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
- Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
- Redesigned News+ feed enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
- All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
- Start Page section order can now be customized
- Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page
- Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation
- WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support
- Ability to sort Today Smart list
- Support for syncing the order of reminders in lists across your devices
- Option to print your reminder lists
- Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense™ Wireless Controller support
Mac computers with the M1 chip
- Hibernation support
About This Mac
- About this Mac displays Apple warranty status and AppleCare+ coverage in the Service tab when signed in with Apple ID
- Support for purchasing and enrolling in AppleCare+ for eligible Mac computers from About This Mac
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours
- iCloud Keychain might not turn off
- AirPods audio routing to incorrect device for Automatic Switching
- AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated
- External 4K monitors may not display in full resolution when connected over USB-C
- Login window may not display properly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020)
- The Dwell feature may not work in the Accessibility Keyboard