ASUS rolls out the stable Android 10 update for the ZenFone 5Z
Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer Asus has been hard at work releasing Android 10 updates for its flagship devices. Earlier this month, the company rolled out a stable ZenUI 6 build based on Android 10 for the ZenFone 6/6Z. Soon thereafter, the company started recruiting Android 10 beta testers for the ROG Phone II. The ZenFone 5Z, Asus’ flagship from last year, was also in line to receive the Android 10 treatment and had already received a beta update late last month. Now, the company has finally started rolling out a stable build of Android 10 for the device.
The OTA update for the ZenFone 5Z brings all the new features introduced in Android 10, along with a couple of minor changes in Asus’ Zen UI. Here are the official release notes for ZenUI 6 (v100.04.44.98) on the ZenFone 5Z:
- Upgraded system to Android 10
- Support Google Play system update
- Removed Page Marker, ZeniMoki, Selfie Master, Beauty Live, Kids Mode, Easy Mode, weather animation setting, AI charging, WebStorage, Go2 Pay, Report Location in Safeguard, and Yandex cloud option in File Manager
- Removed the support of Twin app for “Arena of Valor, PUBG, Vainglory, and Injustice 2”
- Please back up your data before upgrading to Android 10. If you want to downgrade your device’s software version to Android 9 by official software package, it will erase all data from your device’s internal storage.
- Upgraded APN settings
- Add the APN setting of Canada Public Mobile
- Modify ASUS APN Setting
- Moved Themes and Mobile Manager to Advanced Settings
- Some 3rd part apps aren’t compatible with Android 10 yet
It’s worth noting that ZenUI 6 on the ZenFone 5Z offers a close to stock Android experience. As seen in the release notes above, Asus has removed several additional settings from its Android skin to offer users an experience more consistent with stock Android. The update also features Android 10’s system-wide dark mode and the new navigation gestures. Along with all the new features introduced in Android 10, ZenUI 6 also brings a couple of additional features like a native screen recorder, a special mode for one-handed use, Asus’ Game Genie, and more. You can check your device for the update by heading over to the System Updates section within Settings. It’s worth noting that the update is being pushed to devices in a staged fashion, so it may take a few days before you receive the OTA notification.