December 2020 security fixes roll out for Pixel phones with latest Pixel Feature Drop
Another month is in the books, so it’s about time for the latest batch of Android security fixes. Google has published the Android Security Bulletin for the month of December and is also rolling out the update to the Pixel 5, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, and the Pixel 3 XL.
This month’s Android security fixes include the usual bevy of fixes along with some specific fixes for Pixel devices. In fact, there’s something for every Pixel from the Pixel 3 all the way up to the Pixel 5. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have not yet gotten any of the fixes as per the company’s original calendar commitment, but we were told an update will be coming this month. Check out the chart below to see what fixes are in tow for your Pixel smartphone.
The latest security fixes for December 2020 come in a new Pixel Feature Drop, which includes new adaptive features, Google Photos suggestions, and what Google describes as “content-aware battery features.”
- Software versions:
- Pixel 3 (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
- Pixel 3a (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
- Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008
- Pixel 4a: RQ1A.201205.008
- Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.011
- Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.011
- Pixel 3 (XL): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
- Pixel 4a (5G): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
- Pixel 5: [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
- Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008.A1
- Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.010
- Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.010
The over-the-air files and factory images for the Pixel devices can be found at the links below. Find the Android security files for your device and click “Link” to start the download. To flash the update manually without losing all of your data, follow the steps outlined in this tutorial.