Can I replace the battery in the Dell Latitude 5430?
Buying a new laptop is a big investment, and we all want it to last as long as possible so we don’t have to spend money on a new one. And truth be told, the best laptops you can buy today can perform well enough for a few years – the reason why you might replace your laptop is often that the battery is no longer lasting as long as it should. Having a replaceable battery can help your laptop last a whole lot longer because you can just buy and replace the battery yourself without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars. And if you’re wondering whether you can replace the battery in the Dell Latitude 5430, don’t worry, you can.
The Dell Latitude 5430 gives you two options for the battery, one being a 41Whr model and the other being a 58Whr one. You can replace your battery with the same one or get a different size, since they should be interchangeable. If you want to buy a new battery, your best option is to get in contact with Dell to order a replacement. Dell also sells replacement batteries on its online store, but the specific models for the Latitude 5430 don’t seem to be available yet at writing time. You can keep an eye on this page to see if they become available.
Before replacing the battery
In addition to needing the new battery, you’re also going to need a Philips screwdriver and a nin-conductive prying tool. The iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit is a good way to get the basic tools you need for laptop repairs. You may also want an anti-static wrist strap to prevent static discharges while you work inside the computer.
Dell also recommends discharging the battery completely before removing it, so it’s best to use the laptop on battery power until it turns off and can’t turn on again. Don’t plug the AC adapter back in until after the procedure. Once all of that is done, you should be ready to get started.
How to replace the battery in the Dell Latitude 5430
Replacing the battery inside the Dell Latitude 5430 is a relatively easy process once you have all the parts needed. Here’s what you need to do:
- Start by removing the SIM card tray (if your model has it) as well as the microSD card if you have one inserted.
- Lay the laptop upside down with the hinge facing away from you.
- Remove the eight screws holding the base cover in place.
- Slide a non-conductive prying tool along the edges to detach the base cover from the main chassis. Lift it up and remove it to reveal the internals.
- The battery will be at the bottom, aligned to the right side of the laptop. Start by disconnecting the ribbon cable that connects the battery to the motherboard, then remove the three screws holding the battery in place. The procedure is the same for both sizes, but it’ll look slightly different.
- Lift up the battery to remove it.
- Take your new battery and insert it where the old battery was so it looks like the images above. Start by tightening the three screws again, then connect the ribbon cable to the motherboard.
- Re-attach the base cover and tighten the eight screws to hold it back in place.
And that’s it. Now, you should be able to plug the AC adapter into the laptop and turn it back on with a fresh new battery. Your laptop should be able to last longer on battery power again and performance might be more stable, too, due to the healthier battery.
Now that you know you can replace the battery inside the Dell Latitude 5430, maybe you’re tempted to buy it. If you are, you can do it using the link below. If you’d still like to take a look at other options, check out the best business laptops you can buy right now. Most of them also let you replace the battery relatively easily.