Descendant custom ROM’s latest release brings several new features and adds support for three more devices
Earlier this year in April, the team behind the Descendant custom ROM released Descendant 12.1 — the first stable Android 12L-based build of the ROM. At first, the team released the ROM for a handful of devices and it included several bug fixes. Soon thereafter, the team released the May update with a bunch of under-the-hood changes. And now, it has started seeding the June 2022 release of Descendant with support for 3 more devices and a couple of new features.
The Descendant project is known for offering innovative software goodies on top of the vanilla Android experience. The trend continues with the June release as well. Apart from bringing in the June 2022 Android security patches, the new build comes with a cute little weather widget powered by OpenWeather.com. There’s a new clock style too, inspired by Sony’s design principles. Furthermore, you can now mirror the lock screen’s clock style on the home screen, thanks to the newly introduced “Continuity clock” widget.
Next comes Descendant Sounds — a dedicated collection of ringtones baked right into the ROM. It’s not merely another ringtone app, though. Not only does it blend with Descendant’s design philosophy, but it also offers four different dynamic sound templates for notification, including Water Drops, Birds, Glass, and Violin.
The complete changelog of this update is as follows:
Descendant June 2022 Changelog
- Bug Fixes
- Solved an issue with Weather tint on lockscreen
- Solved an issue that was preventing some clock to be correctly updated on pulse and AOD events
- Solved an issue that was preventing Heads-up to work after disabling Notification Chip
- Solved an issue that was preventing Weather icon to be correctly resized according to the user selected display size
- Solved an issue that was preventing pulse events to be correctly dismissed
- Solved an issue that was causing crashes when “Privacy dots only for system apps” was enabled
- Enhanced coherence in Gestures Magic text styles
- New Features
- Added Weather widget
- Added Continuity Clock widget, a widget that will mirror lockscreen’s clock style to offer seamless transitions from lockscreen to home screen
- Added Lockscreen Events (daily events from calendar), an extra line under date on lockscreen that will show upcoming events
- Added a new clock style: Sony Aligned
- Added Descendant Sounds (with dynamic notification sounds) under Settings -> Sounds and Notification
Additionally, the release brings support for the following devices:
- Google Pixel 3a
- OnePlus 7
- Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Download Descendant 12.1 June 2022 Release
If you’re interested in trying out the latest version of the Descendant custom ROM on your device, you can head over to the respective XDA forum thread (linked below) and follow the instructions provided in the post:
|Sr. No.||Device and Forum Link||Device codename and Descendant ROM Discussion Thread|
|1.||Google Pixel 3a||sargo|
|2.||Google Pixel 4 XL||coral|
|3.||Google Pixel 4a||sunfish|
|6.||Xiaomi Mi 9||cepheus|
|7.||Xiaomi Mi 9 SE||grus|
|8.||Xiaomi Mi 10||umi|
|9.||Xiaomi Mi 10T/Mi 10T Pro/Redmi K30S||apollon|
|10.||Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G||renoir|
|11.||Poco F2 Pro/Redmi K30 Pro||lmi|
|13.||Poco X3 Pro||vayu|
|14.||Redmi K40/Poco F3/Xiaomi Mi 11X||alioth|
|15.||Redmi K40 Pro/Redmi K40 Pro Plus/Xiaomi Mi 11X Pro/Xiaomi Mi 11i||haydn|
|16.||Redmi Note 7||lavender|
|17.||Redmi Note 8 and 8T||ginkgo and willow|
|18.||Redmi Note 8 Pro||begonia|
|19.||Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G [Global]/Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G [India]/Poco X4 Pro 5G||veux|
Note: The “miatoll” family of devices, i.e. the Redmi Note 9S/9 Pro India (curtana), Redmi Note 9 Pro (joyeuse), Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (excalibur), and the POCO M2 Pro (gram), are suspended for now.
Take note that generic GSI builds are also available for Project Treble-enabled devices. This is another way to get a taste of Descendant, even if you don’t have any of the aforementioned smartphones. All the builds already have Google apps included, so you don’t need to flash a separate ZIP file to get the Google Play Store.
Have you tried out the Descendant ROM yet? Let us know your experience with this new release in the comments below!