Download: OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro receive HydrogenOS 11 Developer Preview based on Android 11
OnePlus phones sold in China come with HydrogenOS instead of the OxygenOS skin. These two user interfaces share a somewhat common codebase, which means you can easily cross-flash the HydrogenOS package on the international variant of a OnePlus phone, albeit you will miss Google Play Services or any pre-installed Google apps. Now, you can finally take a look and experience the upcoming iteration of these skins when rebased on top of Android 11, as OnePlus is offering the first set of HydrogenOS 11 builds for the OnePlus 8 and the OnePlus 8 Pro.
While the company did publish Android 11-based beta builds for the OnePlus 8 family in the past, today’s release is rather significant. As teased by a week ago, these HydrogenOS 11 builds are more-or-less feature complete. OnePlus has integrated a bunch of custom functionalities, including the long-anticipated always-on display support, with all the typical new features that Google offers with Android 11, thus you should treat it like the near-final version of OnePlus’ take on Android 11.
The complete changelog of this update is as follows:
HydrogenOS 11 changelog for the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro
- Overall visual refresh (including more immersive weather, more comfortable browsing of photo albums and notes, etc.)
- Fully optimize the large-screen operating experience, comfortable and convenient with one hand
- Built-in two brand-new fonts (Cang Er Jin Kai, Huakang Round Type), OnePlus Ying Hei font is upgraded to OnePlus Sans
- Added a new live wallpaper, combined with the time point of sunrise to sunset, the color of the wallpaper changes accordingly, echoing the changes in the sky
- Information screen display
- Added the function of constant light display on the information screen, which can be selected as scheduled/all day. The setting method is: setting-display-the screen display is always on
- Added a custom style for the “Time” screen display. 10 clocks are available for the regular style. The setting method is: Settings-Personalization-Clock Style
- Dark mode
- Added a shortcut switch for dark mode, pull down the shortcut settings to open
- The dark mode supports the setting of automatic opening and time period. The setting method is: setting-display-dark mode-automatic opening-according to sunset and sunrise / custom time opening
- Zen mode
- Added three new themes (ocean, space, grassland) and provide more duration options
- Added support for multi-person meditation mode, you can invite friends to meditation together
- Photo album
- The smart album newly supports a week review function, which can intelligently generate videos according to the material situation to retain memories.
- Add OnePlus mutual transfer, quickly share files to surrounding devices, support OPPO, vivo, Realme, Xiaomi, Meizu and other brands
According to OnePlus, the HydrogneOS 11 builds for the OnePlus 8 series are still based on the second Developer Preview build of Android 11. They are strictly meant for the developers, so the OEM has yet to include them under the “Open Beta” program.
Download: HydrogenOS 11 Developer Preview for the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro
You can download the builds from the links below. Downgrade builds are also mentioned:
- OnePlus 8
- OnePlus 8 Pro
To install, download the appropriate package for your phone from the link above. Then go to Settings > System > System Updates, and then click on the top-right icon and select Local Upgrade option. From there, select the update package that you have downloaded and proceed. The update should successfully flash on your device.
In case you don’t feel comfortable installing HydrogenOS, a similar Developer Preview of OxygenOS for the OnePlus 8/8 Pro is on its way as well.
Source: OnePlus China Forums