Flashtool now supports Sony Xperia XZ2 and Sony Xperia XA2
Users who have tried modifying their Sony device in the past will have heard of XDA Recognized Developer Androxyde‘s Flashtool. It’s an open source S1 flashing tool which supports many Sony Xperia devices. It’s often used for rooting, bootloader unlocking and, of course, firmware flashing. Back in the day before recoveries were commonplace, it was also a great way to flash a custom ROM. It’s often a tool users on our forums still recommend as it fulfills a number of functions that are still useful once you unlock the bootloader. Flashtool supports devices from as far back as 2009 and it’s expanding to support more every year. Version 0.9.25.0 has just been released and it now supports 2018 Sony Xperia devices such as the Sony Xperia XZ2 series and the Sony Xperia XA2 series.
There’s a number of reasons you may still want to use Flashtool. For starters, once you unlock your device’s bootloader then official Sony tools no longer work. Official Sony tools only allow upgrading, whereas with Flashtool you can downgrade. Finally, Flashtool doesn’t have as many restrictions on what you can and cannot flash.
The full list of features is as follows:
- Root your phone
- Install recovery, busybox, custom kernels
- Clean your ROM (remove /system/apps apps of your choice) (Be careful, unless you really know what you do, do not modify the default list. This can make your phone stuck at the SE Logo)
- Clear Dalvik cache
- Optimize (install of JIT v2) (plugin for 2.1 phones only from 2010 line)
- Customize (installs apps found in the custom/apps folder of the flashtool)
- Edit any text file on the device
- Rebrand your device
If you’d like to download the latest version of Flashtool, you can head over to their website. All of the features listed above will now work on the Sony Xperia XZ2 and the Sony Xperia XA2 along with dozens of other Xperia smartphones and tablets.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.