Back cover shows off what the cancelled Pixel 4a XL could have been
The Pixel 4a has been on our radar since late last year. At first, we were operating under the assumption that there would be a Pixel 4a XL. After all, every Pixel generation has included two sizes, including the Pixel 3a series. Eventually, it became clear that Google would not be launching an XL model this time around. However, that doesn’t mean they weren’t working on one.
It’s perhaps no surprise that Google started the development of the Pixel 4a series with the intention of releasing an XL model. There was a leak last month of a Pixel 4a XL replacement back cover on eBay. The part doesn’t have the typical Google “G” logo, however, indicating it’s actually from a prototype device. Now, new images of the Pixel 4a XL back panel have surfaced.
There’s nothing super notable about these images. The back cover includes the camera Pixel 4-like camera module we’ve seen on the smaller Pixel 4a. One clear difference is the number of cameras. It looks like the XL model may have actually sported dual rear cameras, compared to the single camera on the smaller model. The white cover also has an orange power button, which is typical for the Google Pixel line.
It’s interesting to think about a larger Pixel 4a XL with dual rear cameras at a slightly higher price point. Google could have positioned the 4a as the super-budget option and the 4a XL as a slightly more premium mid-range device. In the end, though, Google decided to ride with just one model.
As for the Pixel 4a that we will be getting, the launch has reportedly been delayed until July. The rumored specifications are below.
Rumored Pixel 4a Specifications
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 730
- GPU: Adreno 618
- RAM: 6GB
- Internal storage: 64GB(?), 128GB UFS 2.1
- Display: Single hole-punch 5.81-inch display, 2,340 x 1,080 resolution, 443 dpi, 60Hz refresh rate
- Rear camera: 12.2 MP Sony IMX363, f/1.73 aperture, 1.4µm pixels, OIS, EIS, LED flash, 4K video recording, Autofocus
- Front camera: 8.0 MP Sony IMX355, f/2.0 aperture, 1.14µm pixels, EIS, Fixed focus
- Connectivity: 4G, Dual SIM, GPS, WiFi 5, Bluetooth, GLONASS
- Ports: USB Type-C, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Security: Rear fingerprint sensor
- Battery: 3,080 mAh
- Software: Android 10